Chapter One - Y/N

"Before you can kill the monster you have to say its name."
             -Terry Pratchett (in 'A Slip Of The Keyboard - Collected Non-Fiction)

I pulled a black hoodie I swiped from Tomura over my head, tugging the hood up, and shoved my hands in the pockets as the gate released us both a short walk from the prestigious UA High School, where kids train and study to become good citizens and even heroes, if you're gifted enough to be in the hero course. Now that being a superhero is a paid job, more and more are popping up around the world, so many that police barely do anything anymore, especially when All Might is on the job, and when is he ever not on the job? He's Japan's number one pro hero, famous and powerful and wealthy, and I hate him. For personal reasons. More on that later, much later.

"You look like a little girl. Do you go to UA?" Shigaraki snarked, even laughing a bit under his breath. I rolled my eyes.

"Screw you, I'm older."

"By what, half a year? Now shut up and-" He glared at me. "Give me back my sweatshirt. I don't want any remnants of you on it."

"No. And you shut up, you're drawing attention to us." Tomura hissed something at me under his breath, but I didn't really hear it. It's not like I wanted to listen. We walked side by side to UA, hoods up and heads down, careful to just look like passersby and not anyone suspicious. We snuck past the tourists, not any students since class was in session, and I got my signal. Using the device Giran had provided, after we paid him obviously, I hacked into the security system so we could control their abilities to rely on the school's technology for help. Shigaraki pressed his whole hand onto the first security system console at the gate after I was done, decaying it quickly and silently. We did a few laps around UA before calling Kurogiri to warp us back.

"USJ. The school is traveling there for training. " I said, almost deadpan. The boys looked up at me. "Dipping into the collective minds of the UA staff, I read that the hero course is going there over these next few days, and Class 1-A is tomorrow. You should call in the tip about All Might teaching there now, Kurogiri, so the media swarms them. They won't think too much about the hacked security system if they have a major concern of their student's safety on their hands."

"Well done, Y/N." Kurogiri nodded, grabbing a phone. I think it was a burner phone that Giran left behind, since it wasn't there on the counter before we left. I nodded back, but my mind was swimming. It was erratic, unfocused; darting from one thought to the next and back and forth. I couldn't stop thinking about UA, and All Might, teaching there, and all those kids, so blissfully unaware or simply naive. It hurt. It hurt a lot. Heroes...are just cash grabbers now, all about the fame and the money, and if they aren't like that and they simply want to help people, that doesn't mean they're good people. Bad people can do good things, and All Might is the embodiment of that, in my experience. 

My heart was racing in my chest, and I didn't know why, my mind kept circling around and back to the heroes and the kids. Heroes. Trainees. Sidekicks. Agencies. All that jazz. I was angry and sad and a million emotions at once.

"Scarface." An agitated Shigaraki snapped me out of my thoughts, and as I looked up, my eyes rested on a glass and it shattered, the harsh sound echoing around the dingy bar walls. God damn it. Silence followed, and Tomura shook his head slightly, even more aggravated. "I thought you had it under control." 

"I did too." I stood angrily, keeping my eyes on the floor to avoid any more collateral damage.

"If you can't handle this, Y/N, maybe you-" Kurogiri began, but I cut in, stopping him. 

"No. I'm fine. I just...need to go." I headed up the creaky staircase behind the bar area that led to the upstairs rooms; all bedrooms. There were like six or seven empty ones we used, but mine was down the hall from Shigaraki's, and Kurogiri kind of wandered. I don't even really know where he sleeps, but he does. I shut my door, leaning against it, and slid down to the floor, head on my knees, trying to control my breathing.
.
.
.
I don't know how much time passed, but it passed painfully slowly. My room was a wreck, my furniture turned on the sides, my mirror shattered on the floor with the shards in my knees, shins and calves, blood leaking from some cuts and threading down my legs.