The Badass Seed

"I want to be the other mother

"I want to be the other mother. The one who's drunk all the time."-Hanna Marin

The five of them were in the school auditorium. Hanna, Spencer, and Isabel were auditioning for the play 'the Bad Seed'. Hanna wanted to be Mrs. Daigle, Isabel wanted to be Christine, and Spencer auditioned for Monica.

"If you're trying out for The Bad Seed, you need to sign up here and wait by the auditorium door until your name is called," Mr. Fitz announced. "Thank you, and good luck."

"Start with the line about the stolen medal," Spencer said to Hanna and Isabel.

"Why isn't she wearing any shoes?" Hanna frowned at some girl only wearing socks.

"So she can look short enough to play an eight-year-old," Spencer answered. "What's my line?"

"I don't see anything about a medal," Emily replied, skimming Spencer's script.

"No, that's what the eight-year-old killed her classmate for," Isabel sighed. "Penmanship medal. That's why they call her the bad seed." She pointed to a spot in the script.

"A penmanship medal," Hanna scoffed. "Really?"

"Didn't you read the whole play?" Spencer frowned. She turned to Aria.

"Don't look at me," Aria shrugged. "I'm just here to make them look taller."

"Why do I have to read the whole play?" Hanna complained. "I don't wanna be the bad seed's mother. That's Isabel. I want the other mother, the one who's drunk all the time." They laughed.

"No comment," Spencer said.

"Are you still ragging on me for bringing a flask to a dance?" Hanna sighed. "I don't need another parent, Spence. One's plenty."

"You brought a flask to the dance? Classy," Isabel laughed.

"Yeah," Aria nodded. "And has the one figured out that Caleb's in your basement?"

"No, but 'A' has," Hanna replied.

"What are you gonna do?" Emily asked her.

"I'm gonna tell my mom before 'A' gets to her," Hanna explained. "I'm just gonna ask her if Caleb can stay in the guest room."

"Hey, there, Hanna and her clanna!"

The others watched as Mona walked up to them.

"Hey, Mona. How'd it go in there?" Hanna smiled.

"Honestly, I nailed it. It was epic," Mona boasted. "I think Mr. Fitz cried."

"Good for you, Mona," Spencer sighed. "I guess the rest of us should go home."

"No!" Mona gasped. "There are no small parts, only parts that don't make it into the yearbook." And with that, she was gone. "Good luck!"

Isabel noticed Aria staring at Mr. Fitz. "Why don't you audition? You kind of have an in with the director."