The Devil You Know

"Can we please just slay one dragon at a time?" -Spencer Hastings

The next day, the girls discussed what happened to Ian. He had been found with a gun in his hand, and a suicide note/confession next to him.

"Is this a suicide note or a confession?" Aria frowned, staring at the picture of it on Emily's iPad.

"It's both," Spencer nodded. They all took a moment to silently read it.

'I killed Alison. I lost my temper because she knew too much. But there's only so much you can bury. It won't be that easy, but I know how to get rid of the pain. I can't run from the law. Come and find me. -Ian.'

"Emily... How do you have this?" Aria asked slowly.

"I sent it to her," Hanna explained. "I took a picture with my phone before we called the cops."

"It's weird. Why would Ian kill himself just as he was about to skip town with Melissa?" Emily pointed out.

"Maybe he realized he was gonna get caught," Spencer suggested. "He couldn't hide forever, even with Melissa and Wren's help."

"He was probably desperate," Aria added.

"Or maybe 'A' was desperate," Isabel spoke up.

"Wait, are you saying that 'A' and Ali's killer are the same person?" Spencer frowned.

"Maybe," Isabel shrugged, and seeing the worried looks on everyone's' faces, she added, "Or maybe Ian did kill Ali, and the guilt consumed him, so he shot himself."

"Look, who cares why Ian did it?" Hanna snapped. "The important thing is, Ali's killer is dead, and we're no longer people of interest."

"Why am I not feeling relieved right now?" Emily asked.

"Oh, Em, come on," Aria huffed. "For months, we've been about as welcome in this town as a cold sore, and plus, now people know that we've been telling the truth. And Ian is out of our lives for good."

"Yeah... but 'A' isn't," Isabel argued.

"Can we please just slay one dragon at a time?" Spencer sighed as she shut off the iPad. Isabel watched as Garrett walked over to them.

"Hey," he said, coming to a stop at their table.

"Hey," Isabel frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came to return some evidence we took from the field hockey office," Garrett explained. "Hey, um, look, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you all had to be the ones who found him."