Free Fall

"Are you a speed freak?" -Hanna Marin

Isabel, Hanna, and Emily met up with Spencer in the girl's locker room. Supposedly, she had fallen asleep at the school, on Ezra's desk, actually.

"Hey," Spencer said as they walked in.

"Hey," Isabel, Emily, and Hanna greeted.

"What are you wearing?" Hanna asked, raising an eyebrow. Spencer had gym shorts and a hoodie on, not to mention flip flops.

"It's nothing, I... I had to change," Spencer shrugged. "And this is all I had in my gym locker."

"Did you...? Did you have an accident?" Emily asked in a low tone.

"What? No," Spencer assured her, but she looked close to crazy. Just like when Toby had left her.

"Or are you going to?" Isabel frowned.

"What is up with those shower shoes?" Hanna added.

Spencer sighed. "Can you just forget about the outfit, okay? We have an emergency situation here." She locked the door.

"Is that why you called me at 4 AM?" Isabel scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Wait, what?" Hanna blinked. "Okay, I thought that after we saw Aria lip-locking with the devil went home to calm down and crash."

"I don't know about Spencer, but I certainly did," Isabel replied.

"I... I must've just hit dial while I was asleep," Spencer stammered, picking up her bag. "Look, okay, I know we said we were going to talk to Aria after school, but I really think we need to tell her about Ezra sooner. Like, now."

"What?" Emily scoffed. "Spencer, we can't tell her now."

"The longer we wait, the more dangerous it becomes," Spencer argued.

"And you think it's any less dangerous to drop a bomb like that while she's going into class?" Isabel shot back, staring at Spencer's crazy self. Oh, where had she gone?

"We can't do that to her," Emily agreed.

"Do what? Protect her?" Spencer shouted, crossing her arms. "Ezra spoke to me this morning and I could barely maintain eye contact. Meanwhile, for all we know right now, Aria is hooking up with him in some janitor's closet. How does that not make your skin crawl?"

"It does," Emily sighed. "Look, I know you don't want to keep her in the dark. Okay, but this isn't going to be easy. She's in love with him and she has given up a lot to be with him. I mean, it's going to be difficult enough for her to believe he's even capable of this."

Spencer was silent as the bell rang. Because she knew they were right.

-

Isabel, Emily, and Hanna were eating lunch later.