The Guilty Girl's Handbook

"'A' really likes throwing cars at people

"'A' really likes throwing cars at people." -Spencer Hastings

"No, no, we're fine," Emily promised her. Isabel was on the phone with her the next morning and learned that someone drove a car through her house. "Yeah, they didn't catch the driver."

"You know what that means, right?" Isabel asked darkly. "'A.'"

"Yeah," Emily gulped, and Isabel knew that her mom was with her.

"Why would 'A' wanna install a new window in your living room, though?" Isabel frowned. It didn't seem like something 'A' would do to just any of them. "Did you anger CeCe?"

"I don't know if this was CeCe," Emily replied skeptically. "I mean, why would CeCe hate us?"

"Look, we all wanna know the answer to that question," Isabel sighed. "But for now, just give your mom my deepest condolences, and please, be careful."

"Okay," Emily nodded. She hung up, and Isabel walked over to the kitchen counter. What had Emily done to make CeCe so mad?

-

Isabel walked into Spencer's kitchen, wearing a grim expression.

"How are they?" Aria asked nervously.

"She said they're fine," Isabel replied, sitting down at the counter.

"'A' really likes throwing cars at people," Spencer scoffed as Aria sipped her coffee.

"Is there any chance this really was an accident?" Aria sighed. Everyone stared at her. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

"No, okay, 'A' did this, but why?" Isabel frowned, looking to Spencer for an answer.

"To keep us off balance, keep us from finding Red Coat, or CeCe Drake, or whoever we're dealing with," Spencer shrugged.

"Well, I think it really was CeCe, and I hope that Toby and Caleb find her," Aria huffed. Isabel gave her a confused look, and she added, "Toby and Caleb are trying to find 'A'. But not like that," she said hastily at Isabel's terrified look.

"God, Spence, what is taking your mom so long?" Hanna complained. Mrs. Hastings was Ms. Marin's defense lawyer, and she was supposed to be getting Ms. Marin out on bail.

"Courts run on judge-time, not lawyer-time," Isabel explained, and Spencer looked over at her, impressed.

"Well, it's an arraignment. All they have to do is set bail and she can go," Hanna scoffed.

"She said that she would call you the minute that your mom was released," Aria assured her. "Just take a breath, all right?"

The door opened, and both Hanna and Spencer sat up from their slouching position. "Mom?" Spencer called.

"Hi. Have you girls had breakfast?" Mrs. Hastings asked, walking over.

"Mrs. Hastings, where's my mom?" Hanna demanded.