Chapter Three

Stephlon left the house early in the morning, taking in the fresh air as she walked down to the resort. The breeze blew gently, rustling her long, soft hair. She walked slowly, savoring the moments as she watched the trees swaying in the wind and the birds singing in the branches.

As she approached the resort, a shiny black colored Maybach stood out like a sore thumb, it's sleek frame sticking out from the other vehicles. She shook her head and brushed it off as strange, even though the car seemed out of place among others. Entering the bustling lobby, she took a quick detour to the bathroom to freshen up, then made her way to her boss's office and knocked gently on the door, listening for a reply.

"Come in," came a hoarse voice from behind the door. She opened the door and stepped inside, closing it quietly behind her. The man behind the desk sat rigidly, as though uncomfortable in his own skin. A box of stuffs sat on the desk, it's contents a jumbled mess.

"The resort has been sold. I'm no longer the owner," he said, stretching his arms above his head. He reached for the phone on the table and gestured for silence as he dialed the front desk. "Send the bellboy to my office," he said into the receiver.

"Who is the new owner?" Stephlon asked, her voice steady and composed. Inside, her mind was racing with questions and worries, but she forced herself to keep her expression neutral.

She was wearing an off-the-shoulder baby pink blouse and a black A-line mini skirt, with a pair of simple black wedges and a long love pendant necklace. Her hair was wrapped up in a messy bun, a few flyways framing her face. She had gone to the bathroom before coming up to the office, to get her hair wrapped up and neat.

Just as he was about to answer, the door flew open with a bang. Stephlon, who had been standing behind it, leapt out of the way just in time to avoid being hit. She looked up in surprise, her heart racing, to see a disheveled young man standing in the doorway, panting and out of breath. It looked as though he'd just run a marathon.

"Take this to my car", the ex boss barked, handing the heavy box to the bell boy, who looked startled and wide-eyed. His expression was one of fear and confusion, as though he'd just been thrust into a whirlwind of chaos.

"Your new boss has already made some changes, so I need to bring you up to speed" Her boss replied as soon the bell boy left the room, his face betraying nothing.

Stephlon felt her stomach drop. Here she was going to work with someone who she had no idea of and she was worried about what changes he had in store. She steeled herself, preparing for the worst.

Stephlon could feel her heart pounding in her chest, her stomach churning with nerves. How would this new boss be? What changes would he make? Her mind was racing, her thought spiralling in a hundred different directions. She forced herself to take a deep breath, trying to stay calm. After all, she had to put on a brave face. This was her job, and she had do it to the best of her ability.

"He's agreed to retain you as manager, so the staff won't have to deal with too much change at once" the ex boss said, walking to the door as he spoke. Stephlon followed behind him, her head spinning from the information overload. He kept talking as he moved his hands in animated gestures, his words spilling out in a rush.

"As the resort is no longer my business, I can't say what he was planned," the man said, he turned to look at her, his eyes brimming with sadness. He opened his arms wide, beckoning for a hug. He could tell that she was hiding her emotions, just as he was hiding his. They were each trying to protect the other from worry.

"Steph, don't worry," Mr. Montgomery said, pulling her in for a hug before releasing her. His hands rested on her shoulders, a warm smile on his face. "He's not as bad as you think, and besides, he's very handsome. That's just the cherry on top."

"Promise you'll call," she whispered, clutching his fingers as though she never wanted to let go. His tall frame towered over her, and she couldn't bring herself to meet his gaze. The tears she'd been holding back spilled over, and she frantically wiped them away, though they kept coming.

"I would never abandon you," he said with a mischievous smile.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, with a playful glint in his eye. "I could hear you grumbling from across the phone yesterday."

The comment made Stephlon burst into laughter, tears still running down her face. The man smiled back, with a gentle look in his eyes.

As they began to walk again, they continued their conversation, discussing his retirement plans and what he would do with his time. Stephlon suggested that he move to the city, as a life without work might not be enough for him. He needed the thrill of the city life, the rush of activity that would keep him going.

"Welcome, Mr. Reichenstein!" Her boss's booming voice cut off what she had prepared to say.  She couldn't quite process who it could be until the voice sounded again. Her eyes darted in the direction of the greeting, and she froze in shock as her gaze landed on a man she never expected to see again

His steely gaze hadn't changed in all these years, still as intimidating as ever. He greeted Mr. Montgomery with a firm handshake, but when his eyes landed on Stephlon, they widened in surprise and shock. Her expression mirrored his own, her eyes as wide as saucers. Though his face remained stoic, his jaw was clenched tight, a small but significant sign of the emotions swirling beneath the surface.

Welcome to another chapter of my story! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Don't forget to vote and leave your comments, I'd love to hear your thoughts ✌️❤️