pity | p.p.

kinda angst a lil?? oh and cursing

the last couple weeks had been a blur, she remembered fragments of pieces and her head was spinning. everyday was the same now.

pity.

the repetition of something she didn't want. the constant apologies, as if it was their fault. as if they could change it. y/n didn't want that. she wanted the whole world to just go away. just become silent. for everyone to disappear.

she hated it.

the gifts. the way everyone spoke around her and to her, as if she was a broken piece of glass, cracks scattered around. all the exceptions that were made.

pity.

even her best friend treated her differently. the one person she was supposed to be able to lean on couldn't even hold her up properly. and honestly? she was sick of it. not that she'd ever do anything about it.

chances are, peter didn't even notice how she was taking it. if anyone were to ask her, she'd say that everyone else cared more about her cancer than she did. y/n had already accepted it, and she didn't understand why anyone else was being like this. frankly, it was aggravating.

y/n wasn't giving up on her sickness, her body, herself. she was just trying to survive it. she didn't want to be known as the sick girl. normal. y/n was normal. just like everyone else. her sickness didn't define her. her actions did.

how much would it take to knock sense into everyone?

she sighed as she closed her locker, trying to think of something else.

"hey."

she let out a small yelp, startled by the familiar brunette boy.

"shit, peter, you scared me."

"i'm sorry! are you okay?" worry flooded his voice.

this is what y/n meant. if she wasn't sick, then he likely would've cackled in her face and teased her, but the problem was the fact that she was indeed sick. meaning that he wouldn't be normal peter. he would be smothering mom-like peter. she resisted the urge to roll her eyes and nodded stiffly. not in the mood to deal with this, she dragged him to class by his wrist.

y/n plopped down at an open seat and peter took the one next to her. she sunk down in her seat a little when she noticed that mr. holland passed around the tests. when he put her's down, he put it face-down. that was enough for her to know that she did bad. y/n didn't even bother to check it as she shoved it down to the bottom of her backpack, into a sea of misfit papers, never to be seen again.

it's not that she wasn't smart. because she was. y/n was one of the top students, tied against peter making their rivalry nothing but a tight friendship. but with cancer came many doctor appointments, blood tests, and if there might be anything going around, anything at all, she had to stay home. couldn't risk it, as her mother said.

out of the corner of her eye she could see peter press his lips together in a tight line. she clenched her jaw as students glanced over their backs, checking out the sick girl.

pity.

"what are you looking at, fucker?" she snapped under her breath to the boy across to her. he looked away quickly, mumbling something under her breath.

for the most part, the rest of the day went quickly. y/n stopped by her locker to shove her school crap in her backpack, knowing that peter would be waiting for her in the school parking lot to drive her to his house- courtesy of a school project. she didn't bother to hurry, though. it's not like he would be mad at her.