the worst christmas ever | p.p.

cred to shellshocklove on tumblr

i'll have a written out chapter soon :)

Slow. Sweaty. Loud.

The buzzing of humming conversations. People's winter shoes clacking obnoxiously against the tile floor. A distant 'Ho-Ho-Ho' from the creepy mall Santa, slapping the thigh of some poor little girl screaming for 'Mommy' as the camera flashed with saved memories.

The guilt gnawed at the back of Peter's neck as he hurried from store to store.

"Sorry, that's out of stock."

"If it's not on the shelf, we don't have it."

With every no, Peter's guilt was starting to mix with panic. His winter jacket was too hot, suffocating him like the thought of you tomorrow morning with no present from him to unpack. He knows he fucked up. Who in their right mind buys his girlfriend her Christmas present on Christmas Eve?

Peter Parker– that's who.

He didn't intend to leave it to the last minute – it just happened! He swears!

With a sigh and a shaky hand running over his face, Peter fished out his phone from his pocket. Entering the notes app, he felt his stomach start to turn. Reading over your wish list, he scrolled to the bottom where he hovered his thumb over the red x emoji. Ready to mark himself a boyfriend failure.

Suddenly, his phone came alive in his hands. A picture of your smiling face lighting it up. Guilt's teeth scratched harder at his neck as he pushed the little green button.

"Hi baby!" Peter greeted, a fake smile spreading over his face even though you couldn't see him.

"Oh, thank god! Peter– where are you? We're leaving for your Aunt May's in half an hour."

Peter could hear the worry in your tone. He couldn't help but hear it every time you called. A worry that he wouldn't answer because something had happened. That he was lying in the street somewhere bleeding out.

Peter squeezed his eyes shut while a hand came up to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Yes," he nodded to no one, "I know! I'm-I'm on patrol and I lost track of time– But I'm heading back now."

"Peter," you sighed down the phone. Peter stayed quiet, just listening to your breathing. He knew you worried about him – how could you not? You had every right to worry.

When you didn't say anything, Peter drew a shallow breath, "I know– I'm sorry." And he meant it – he always meant it – even when it felt like 'Sorry' was the word he told you more often than 'I love you'.

"Peter– It's okay... It's okay just– just please hurry home."

"I love you," he hurried. A band aid over his bullet wound of disappointing you.

"I know– I love you too, Peter."

Hot air washed over him as he exited through the revolving door of the mall. Out on the street he didn't linger long. Busy New Yorkers hurried past him, splashing wet snow with every step. Digging his hands in his pocket, Peter made his way down the avenue while the wind bit at his cheeks.

..........

Aunt May's hugs were Peter's favorite. The way she squeezed him just a little too tight, the smell of her signature perfume she'd worn since forever, and the wet kiss placed on his cheek. A few years ago, he'd playfully groaned and rubbed the kiss from his cheek with a roll of his eyes, but now as a twenty-something, he embraced them.

You were late, and it was Peter's fault, but Aunt May didn't seem to mind. The apartment looked the same as it did the last time he was here, sans the Christmas decorations and the smell of... cooking? Peter couldn't believe his own nose as he snuck sneakily into the kitchen, leaving you and Aunt May in the hallway to catch up.