stressed out | t.h.

tw: like three curse words

fluffish barely any angst

not proofread, so sorry if there are out of place pronouns cuz this is 3rd person so there might be a bit of 2nd person by accident idk

don't be a silent reader go comment 

"oh my god. could- could you just watch where the fuck you're going?"

tom pauses where he took an accidental misstep, leaving the laptop's charger on the floor. it was a simple mistake, he'd unplugged it, caught up in something else mentally. It could be fixed instantly, but y/n wasn't having it. an unplugged charger was beyond the line of comfort currently. 

"i- i'm so sorry, love," he stammered, meeting her frustrated look. tom didn't want to make her more upset then she already was. he knew that y/n was just having one of those days, and he understood that. "i'll plug it back-"

"or, you know, just don't walk into it?" she snapped, clicking keys on the board, face illuminated with a bright hue from the screen.

"love?" tom asked, right after fixing it, "what's wrong?"

"nothing's wrong. can you stop now?"

"hey, don't start with me. you're in a mood, y/n."

"m' not." 

she is. she totally is. 

"darling," he presses, sitting down next to her and brushing his hand over her cheek. y/n pulled away from him, huffing.

"stop it," she said, through gritted teeth.

"you're overworked. take a break, baby."

"jeez, i can't. i- i have to finish this," she stuttered, her voice breaking a little. 

"oh, babe," he pulls the laptop away, saving the document, and y/n resists a little before giving up. "it's friday night. let's do something fun!"

"mm. i-"

"tomorrow. you can finish it tomorrow. look at you, you're so tired."

she didn't say anything, unmoving, prompting him to sit closer, curling an arm around her. tom held her there. "are-are you mad?" he inquired softly. 

"no," y/n said, still not moving.

"then why are you always working?" tom squeezed y/n a little tighter, bringing her deeper into his embrace as he cups her jaw—with those firm, yet gentle hands of his that somehow always have her pliant—and turned y/n to look up at him. "every time i come home, you're on the computer with that look on your face."

"i don't have a look," she insisted.

smiling, he pressed his lips to her forehead. "yeah, you do." then to the furrow in y/n's brow. "but it's cute, anyways. you're cute."

he planted slow, gentle kisses across y/n's face, from her temples, to her cheeks, to her jaw, until he found her lips and took them carefully, relishing in her act of apology when she rubs circle around his forearms and kissed him a little deeper. and slowly, but surely, he felt the tenseness in y/n's body begin to dissipate.

he pulled away, still intent on figuring out her rut, he rests his forehead to her. "talk to me, baby. what's got you acting all grumpy, hm?" his hands hold her close, and his thumbs grazed against y/n's cheekbones. "something i did that you wanna talk about?"

"no—"

"no?" he'd be lying if he said a wave of relief didn't wash over him. "what's wrong, then?"

"i'm—it's just that—..." y/n sighed.

he waited patiently, knowing that by now he's cracked open that shell. "it's okay, love, we can work it out."

"tommy, i just—" and her lip quivers, and her throat gets sore, and the vision gets bleary from tears emerging. "i have so much to do, and—..."

"for school?"

she nods against him. "it's just—i get behind on one thing, and then there's five other things i need to do, and i try to get ahead but then i don't sleep, and—i-i'm just stressed, is all."

"i know." tom coos gently at her and wiped away her tears. "I know, and you've just been working so hard, baby."

"it doesn't matter, though, because i'm still not getting anywhere." y/n's throat tightens, and tears keep falling, and she feel her resolve crumbling, the last of her strength gonenow that tommy's handling you so gently. "and I just feel so stupid all the time—"

"no way," he nudges his nose against hers, "you don't get to say that, you're the smartest person i know. and i know a lot of people," he adds, making her giggle quietly.

he pulls y/n away carefully, just to look her in the eye—and tom's gut wrenches, seeing her like this, eyes red and wet with tears, her lips salty when he kisses them slowly to mellow the racing of your heart.

with a calm hand he urges her head to rest against his chest, his lips lending a kiss to her temple. "so fucking smart, and i promise, you don't even know the half of it," nturally, the rest of her follows, with his arms keeping her close, one wrapped around her waist to hold you tight as the other hand rests with on the back of y/n's neck to soothe her, scratching gently at the nape of it. "you're always blowing me away, you know that. really smart, and pretty, and hardworking—"

"but tom—" y/n's sobs choke her up then, and there's a throb in her forehead that has her almost begging for sleep.

"hey, it's okay. talk to me. what is it?" his hand smooths up and down her back, his voice becomes gentler than ever. "take a breath, c'mon, take a deep breath."

she push herslelf away from his chest, seeing the tears staining his white tee before she even looked up at him. "I'm sorry, tommy. all the stress, it's—i've been so mean to you lately, and bitchy—" she doesn't even process the vigorous shake of his head— "i'm sorry, baby—"

"hey, hey, baby, stop—" he wipes tears from your eyes before they get the chance to spill onto her cheeks. "don't do that. you're not bitchy. that's not it." another kiss to her forehead has her melting. "you're okay. we're okay." another kiss, slower, to her sob-bitten lips, like he wants her to taste his forgiveness.

"but I was mean to you, and i'm sorry—"

his chest physically aches because he knows there's only so much he can do for y/n. "I know," he tells her, "I know, baby, I got you. It's okay."

"i promise don't mean it, tommy—"

"yeah, and i know that, love." pulling her tight to his chest again, his strong arms wrap around her fully, and he presses kisses to the skin where he's nuzzled into her neck. "you're just working yourself to the bone, yeah?"

"hmm," she hummed, just happy to be held, to be swallowed whole by his warmth.

"you promise to rest up from now on?"

"hmm."

"yeah? not even listening, right?"

"hmm." she burrowed into him just a little deeper, eyes slipping shut.

he scoffs, but it's full of love. "it's really late now." tom shuffles her closer to him with little effort, hooking his hands beneath her thighs to encourage them around his hips. "let's get you to bed, hm? c'mon—" he hoists you to his hip with a subtle grunt— "up you go, baby, that's it—"

and in the brief minute or two it takes for him to turn out the lights in their shared apartment, and the twenty-some paces to the bedroom, she's lulled off to sleep in his embrace, stoking that fire in his chest that keeps him going—because knowing she's feel safe with him, secure with him, is all he really needs.