dog days are over // part one | t.h.

waitimcomingtoo on tumblr

"Coming." Tom called when he heard his doorbell ring. He wasn't expecting anyone, so he made no effort to look presentable before opening the door. Once unlocked his front door, he found you standing outside. You smiled awkwardly and gave a stiff wave. He quickly fixed his hair when he realized his surprise visitor was a girl and leaned against his doorframe in an attempt to look cool.

"Hi. Tom?" You asked him.

"Hi, yeah, that's me. And you are?"

"Y/n. Your brother hired me to help you out. He said you were in desperate need of my service." You explained. Tom shut his eyes in embarrassment and felt himself turn bright red.

"My brother? Oh my God. Look, you're very pretty and I'm sure you're very good at your job-"

"Slow down. I'm a dog sitter." You clarified. "And walker. And some might even say whisperer."

"Oh." He smiled in surprise. "A dog sitter? Right. I knew that."

"You thought I was a sex worker, didn't you?" You said with a raise of your eyebrow.

"I did." He admitted. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. They make a lot of money. If I had any of those skills, I'd be doing that instead. But alas, my talent lies with getting dogs to be obedient."

"This was the strangest start to a conversation I've ever had." Tom said, mostly to himself.

"You know what? Me too." You laughed, making him relax and laugh as well.

"Why don't I show you my dog and then we can discuss what I might need you for?" Tom offered and stepped to the side. You smiled shyly at him and walked into his house with him following behind you. You took a moment to look around his space to get to know him a little. He had photos of his family and his dog all around, as well as memorabilia from past films he was in as well. He disappeared into the other room for a second before returning with Tessa in his arms.

"So this is the woman in my life. Tessa. The only woman in my life." He emphasized, making you look at him sympathetically.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. When did your mom pass?" You asked him as you pet Tessa.

"Oh, no. She's fine. She sent me a recipe for cornbread this morning. I just meant I have no romantic prospects." Tom quickly corrected.

"Oh. Okay." You laughed awkwardly and looked to the side.

"Sorry. I feel like I'm talking so much. And that all the things I'm saying are insane and embarrassing. Are you also feeling like that?" He asked you through a nervous laugh.

"I'm not feeling anything except this coat. What shampoo do you use on her?" You asked in baby voice as you put your nose against Tessa and scratched her ears. She immediately warmed up to you in a way Tom had never seen her do before with a stranger. He smiled and looked at you fondly before realizing he actually had to answer your question.

"Oh, uh. Rain, mostly. Sometimes dish soap if she bumps into me while I'm washing dishes." Tom answered honestly, making you crack a smile and look up at him. He smiled in relief when you found his word vomit funny.

"You hand wash your dishes? In this big ass house?" You laughed and looked around.

"I do. Is that weird? I feel like it keeps me humble. Like, if I ever started using my dishwasher, I'd become James Franco overnight."

"I like that." You chuckled. "I just figured you'd have someone to do that for you. You know, since you're Spiderman and all."

"I'm not one of those celebrities. I don't pay people to wipe my butt and stuff. I'm just a regular guy."