A Hunted Assassin Part 1

~  *  ~ 

Chrollo had left again, as had most of the others, leaving the spiders' lair feeling surprisingly empty. During the last week, you'd gotten used to there always being people in the kitchen and living room, chattering, bickering, and sometimes breaking out in impromptu fights. Like any big family during a holiday.

Now you were sitting alone in the too quiet kitchen with a cup of tea and a book, spending more time gazing out the window than actually reading. Closing the book with a snap that echoed through the room you took a sip of the still too hot tea.

Concentrating, you started to move aura to your right hand, shaping it like a knife around your fingers. Since you came back from Meteor City this had been the main focus of your training, but just like Feitan had predicted, his favorite technique did not come easy to you. Even though learning some transmuter techniques should be fairly easy for an enhancer this was apparently not one of them. At least not for you. You could make it look solid enough, but so far you had not been able to make it cut through anything, instead, it dissolved on impact.

'You soft,' Feitan had said, 'Nen knife no natural to you.'

You sighed, relaxing your aura back to normal. Soft, yeah, right. Like sending aura into people and breaking bones or organs inside their living bodies was soft. More creepy than soft, you thought, wincing. Perhaps you should just focus on developing your healing, after all that was what came most naturally to you. You had a few ideas, and you wished Machi would be back soon so you could discuss them with her.

Glancing at the clock you wondered when Fei and Phinks would be home, they had been deliberately vague about their plans today, and you wondered what they were up to. When the door finally opened you looked up eagerly, but it was Shalnark, not Fei, who came inside and for a second you felt disappointed. He gave you a small wave and headed toward you, a paper bag in each hand. Whatever was in the bags smelled delicious.

'Hey, is Feitan not back yet?' You shook your head in response, frowning slightly,

'No, haven't heard anything from him since he left last night. I thought he'd be back by now.'

'Me too. We were supposed to meet around now.' He placed one of the bags on the table and opened it. 'Have you had lunch yet? Or do you want to share?'

'Whatever you have there smells great, so if you have enough I'd love some.'

'Of course. I always order extra. You'll never know who'll try to steal your food around here, so it's good to have plenty.'

He placed the takeaway boxes on the table, sat down opposite you, and handed you a pair of chopsticks.

'So what are you and Fei planning?' you asked, 'He didn't mention anything specific.'

'Oh, nothing much. Just following up on leads on some old Troupe business. Tying up some loose ends,' Shalnark said lightly, keeping his eyes on his food. 'Here you should try these spring rolls, they're delicious.'

He picked one up with his chopsticks and placed it on your rice. It was an obvious diversion and you gave him a suspicious look but decided not to push it. If it was something you needed to know they would tell you. Eventually. Probably.

Then the door burst open and Feitan and Phinks came inside.

'I smell food,' Phinks said, heading towards the table, 'I hope you brought enough for everyone.'

Shalnark winked at you, 'See, I told you so. Always bring extras.'

He opened the other bag and fished out two more sets of chopsticks as Phinks took a seat next to him and Feitan sat down next to you. Fei put a hand on your leg under the table, and you placed your hand on top of his, giving it a small squeeze. Your eyes met and you mouthed a 'missed you', which he answered with a small nod as he pulled his bandana down.