Two Little Spiders Went on a Job Part 2

~ * ~

The music was so loud it hit you like a wall of bricks as soon as you entered the room where the concert was being held. Black-clad figures were jumping around on the stage in the back of the room and the mass of people in front of it was moving in unison, like a human wave. Shaking your head, you frowned. Why would anyone want to arrange a rock concert in their house? Or rather, their mansion. Just to show off? The place was huge, you'd have to admit, and there must be hundreds of people invited. Still, you should not complain, the event together with your forged invitations had given you easy access to the building after all. Now you looked around trying to get your bearing, comparing what you saw to the blueprints and pictures you had studied before.

Somebody bumped into you, hard enough to make you stagger to the side and you felt Fei's arm tightening around your waist steadying you, pulling you closer to him. You glanced at him, imagining the deep frown on his brow and the intense glare he directed at the drunken fool who was now unsteadily standing a bit too close.

The big hood was shadowing his eyes completely, the exact opposite of his usual outfit, and while you found it nice to be able to see his lips and nose, you really missed seeing his eyes. Not to mention how strange it was to see him wearing normal clothes out in public. Until now you'd never seen him without his custom coat and bandana outside of whatever Troupe hideout you were staying in.

Still, the disguises had served you well, both of you blended in perfectly with the mostly black-clad crowd. You self-consciously pulled at the hem of the very short black dress you were wearing, trying to stretch it closer to the thigh-high boots covering most of your legs. Somehow your stolen outfit had not felt quite as short, or as low cut, when it had only been you and Fei in the dressing room. Now it made you feel strangely naked and you fervently wished you had chosen something a bit less revealing.

'Very sexy,' Feitan had said back in the shop when you had tried it on before he'd smoothly tucked everything away in his coat. Shalnark had given you one of the Troupe's credit cards, and you knew it had a ridiculously large amount of money on it, but when you'd pointed out that you could just pay for the clothes Feitan had just laughed at the idea.

'Can, but steal more fun.'

You had laughed too, of course, he'd say that. Then you had kissed, and remembering, you now leaned in to kiss him again. You were officially working, but it was important to stay in character. Right?

'Come,' he broke the kiss and expertly steered you through the swaying crowd, using a mixture of bloodlust and sharp elbow to get people to move out of the way. 'Staircase this way.'

Soon you had cleared the concert hall and found yourself in another spacious room with a bar and people standing and chatting around several small high tables. The sound from the band was now low enough to be pleasant, and even the air in this room seemed easier to breathe.

The staircase you searched for was in the corner, wide and impressive it reached upwards in a wide half circle, with two sturdy guards positioned at the bottom. Discreetly you activated gyo, and your suspicions were confirmed, they were both nen users. Probably fairly skilled as well given the wealth and occupation of their employer.

'How do we get past them?'

'I make distraction,' Feitan glanced between the guards and the bar, 'You go first, meet on third floor.'

'Right,' you said, trying to look relaxed and unbothered, probably failing both.

'You ready?' he asked and after you gave a small nod he strolled over to the bar, seemingly to get drinks.

Pulling at your dress again you watched him until he suddenly disappeared, moving so fast even your eyes couldn't keep up. Suddenly three people in the bar sagged to the floor, unconscious, their glasses shattering against the hard marble tiles, drawing everybody's attention.