Trapped by the Hunters Part 2

So, this is fairly dark, and I can warn you that it ends with a bad cliffhanger...
Chapter warnings: torture.

  ~  *  ~  

It was too soon that you heard the heavy door opening and closing, and then footsteps approaching. This time it was a fairly big group, the sound of their boots echoing through the huge room, accompanied by the sound of something heavy being dragged across the floor.

All three of you got to your feet standing together in the middle of the cell, watching the group come closer. The tall man was leading them, his white suit almost luminescent compared to the others' black outfits.

'Well, I don't need nen to fight these bastards,' Phinks said, flexing his fingers and rolling his shoulders and Fei grinned at him, matching his movements.

'You big baka,' Feitan said fondly.

Phinks just nodded, placing his huge hands on his shoulders. 'I've got your back. As always.'

They looked surprisingly calm and confident and you wondered if they had been in this situation before, if Fei had been in this situation before. With all the scars covering his upper body, it was all too likely, and a dread chill clutched at your chest, making it hard to breathe. Perhaps they had some sort of plan? Both your mind and your heart clung desperately to that faint hope, because you really couldn't see any way out of this.

Turning away from Feitan Phinks put his hands on your shoulders instead, leading you toward the back of the cell, and your tearful eyes met his.

'You don't know a lot about torture do you?'

'Just what I've picked up from Fei,' you said, wondering where he was going with this. Knowing about torture wouldn't make it easier to endure, that much you knew.

'Well, standard procedure is to go for the women first, simply for the psychological impact on the others, and the chances of this guy not knowing the basics of torture are slim, to say the least.'

Your eyes widened and you looked between him and Fei, 'Do you really think...'

'We don't think, we know. Fei can handle a lot of pain, as can I. And, hell, he...' he nodded toward Kalluto, '...can probably handle more than the two of us together considering his odd upbringing. You on the other hand...'

'I'm soft,' you whispered, realizing just why Fei had been so intentionally arrogant and provocative before. 'But he can't...' your voice failed you as you stared into Phinks's face. How could he be so damn calm? You wanted to scream the roof off, but the only sounds you managed to make were gasping sobs. 'He can't do this. I won't let him.'

'You can and you will,' his voice was stern and his face serious, 'Do not take this from him. I know he doesn't have many ways to show you how much he cares for you, but this is one of them. He can handle pain much better than you, remember that.'

His hands felt heavy on your shoulders when he added, 'Besides that, he'll be able to notice any mistake they make and use it to our advantage. You would not, you're simply not experienced enough.'

No matter how much the words stung, you couldn't deny the truth that, despite your past, you did lack experience as well as strength, but still...

The Hunters were already back outside your cell, and your eyes widened when you saw the heavy wooden chair they had dragged with them, as well as some ropes and chains. This chair was much too similar to the one Feitan kept in the basement back home, and the cold in your chest grew as you silently watched four black-clad men place the chair in the cell next to yours. Chains were swung over one of the hooks in the ceiling and you finally understood the look Fei had on his face when he'd discovered them.