Spider vs Spider Part 2

~  *  ~  

Since you had left the area the giant spider had retreated to the middle of the clearing, the smaller ones hovering around it protectively. Neither paid any attention to you when you first stepped out from the treeline and cautiously approached again. Then, as if you'd suddenly crossed a magical line, the giant spider came back to life and raised itself once more. This time it tilted its body so you could see the protruding glands at its butt twitch as it rapidly shot out strand after strand of threads until most of the clearing was covered in intricate webbing, looking silvery white against the dark ground.

'I guess we should avoid stepping on that,' you said, watching as another horde of spiderlings manifested, fanning out around their queen. They obviously didn't have any problem running across the web.

Feitan grunted a reply, as a group of white spiderlings raced toward you and you tensed. The pain from their last attack was still too vivid in your mind. He reached under his coat to unhook his umbrella and he smoothly drew his sword just before they reached you. Using his opened umbrella as a shield he made quick work of the group, their bodies transforming into blueish orbs that flickered and vanished.

'Here,' he said, pushing the handle of the umbrella in your hands. 'It strong. You use.'

'Thank you,' you said, spinning it slowly in front of you. 'You ready?'

'Ready.'

Sword in hand, Feitan ran across the field, at first carefully and slow enough that he could place his feet safely between the strands of the sticky web, but when he reached the spiderlings he changed his strategy. Speeding up he used the small black spiders as stepping stones, redirecting a small amount of aura to his feet as protection against the explosions they set off. Moments later he reached the big spider. It was once again crouched close to the ground and he unleashed a barrage of attacks with his sword, hitting it on the legs, head, fangs, anywhere he could reach. To your surprise the spider retreated, slowly backing towards the opening to its lair. Feitan of course was not having any of that but cruelly plunged his sword deep into one of the already wounded eyes.

The spider shrieked once, the sound sending shivers down your spine as you used the umbrella to fend off more spiderlings. It finally raised its belly off the ground but went into a frenzy, legs dancing and stomping all over in its desperation to crush the enemy that had wounded it. Some of the spiderlings turned away from you, heading toward it. Forcing yourself to tear your eyes away from Fei you launched a series of attacks on them, drawing their attention back to you. The open umbrella was surprisingly efficient in both keeping them away from you as well as protecting you from the acidic venom.

Minding where you put your feet you moved to the side, drawing most of the spiderlings with you, and you sneaked a look in Feitan's direction. The giant spider was twitching, legs stomping as in a crazy dance, while dark goop poured out of the deep wound Fei had inflicted before. He was circling it, fast, trying to find an opening to get inside that cage of legs and locate the weak spot. The spider spun around, trying to keep up, unsuccessfully. Suddenly you lost sight of Fei, and roughly pushing some spiderlings out of the way you craned your neck to see what was happening.

Standing tall, raised on its four back legs, the spider was desperately trying to get to Feitan, blindly flailing its front legs as well as shooting random strings of web in an attempt to catch and trap him. For a brief moment, you thought you saw a small white spot high up on its body, right between the second pair of legs, and excitement filled you. That must be its weak spot. And Fei must have seen it too.

Fei. Where was he?

You winced as the giant spider fell back down standing on all eight legs, all of which were drumming rhythmically against the hard, dry ground, calling its minions back to its defense.