Trapped by the Hunters Part 1

~ * ~

Earlier that day

After a mostly sleepless night waiting for Feitan to show up, or at least answer one of your many calls or texts, you're now out with Kalluto, supposedly to pick up supplies, but you do have other plans as well...

'You have some sort of divination skill, don't you?' you looked Kalluto full in the face, 'Does that mean that you can find them?'

'Maybe, but I'm not supposed to discuss that ability with anyone, not even you. It's complicated, so even if I tried it might not work.'

Your mind conveniently skipped over the "not" and you gave a sigh of relief.

'You don't have to discuss or explain anything. But if there's any chance, then please, you have to try.'

'I really don't think... I mean, we should let Shalnark and Nobu handle the search. They're already on it.'

'They'll do what they can, but they're not as worried as I am, at least not yet.'

You felt tears rise in your eyes, and you bit your lip trying to keep it from trembling.

'I know something's not right. You can feel it too, can't you?'

'Fei not coming back or even contacting you is unusual, yes, and it suggests that something or someone is preventing him from doing so.'

His lips tightened and he looked decidedly uncomfortable. It wasn't fair, pushing him like this, you knew that, but you were getting desperate. You could apologize later when Fei, and Phinks too of course, were back with you again. Hell, you'd buy him the biggest, most beautiful pink cake you could find.

'Please, Kallu. I'm not asking you as a fellow spider, I'm asking as your friend.'

'Assassins don't have...' he started awkwardly but you interrupted him.

'Come on, you don't really believe that do you? You know you have friends here. We all care about you. A lot.' He looked a bit surprised but nodded slowly and you smiled at him through the tears. 'And Killua seems to have lots of friends, mostly strange ones, but still. Hell, even Illumi has Hisoka.'

'I'm not sure I would call whatever relationship Ani has with Hisoka friendship. I don't believe either of them knows what it means. Still, I'm glad he has a companion.'

What little resolve he had left crumbled before your pleading eyes and he gave you a defeated smile.

'Ok, I'll try. On the condition that if I find something, anything, then we tell the others and come up with a plan together. And I'll tell Ani too.'

'Right. Of course, Illumi is involved already so that's fair,' you chirped happily, then more serious, you put a hand on his arm. 'Thank you. It means a lot. Truly.'

'We'll need a map.'

'Didn't we just pass one of those big ones for tourists? At the square? Would that work, or you need a paper one? Paper is sort of your thing, isn't it?'

'Let's start with that one. I've never tried one of those, so even if it doesn't work it will provide interesting practice.'

Heading back toward the square you wiped at the stubborn tears that kept forming in your eyes and tried to keep your hopes up, ignoring all the dreadful scenarios your mind was busy showing you. Both Fei and Phinks were really strong...and clever...and experienced, so they'd be fine. Right? And, after all, Kallu had been the one to locate the nen-exorcist on Greed Island, a man he had never met, so for him to locate two familiar, maybe not friends but colleagues should be even easier, right?