Two Little Spiders Went Into A Game Part 1

~ * ~

Just like every Thursday afternoon since you'd entered the game you were seated on a bench in the corner of the biggest square in Masadora, waiting to see if any of your fellow spiders would show up with news. It had been almost two months, and so far no one had appeared, and to be honest you didn't have any high expectations for today either. Chrollo was probably still working his way up to the two-hundredth floor, and you, while close, had not yet accomplished your goal.

You took another sip of your rapidly cooling coffee, watching Feitan idly flip through his game book. Occasionally he'd take out a card and mutter the word to use it. Usually "levy" or "mug", the ones that let you steal cards from other players' books. It was his favorite pastime while waiting, and you hid a smile behind your cup. Once a thief...

Once his slots had been filled, he'd go through the new ones, keeping only a select few in his binder, and tossing the unwanted ones on the ground. Now he suddenly chuckled and you leaned toward him, trying to see what had excited him.

'Did you get something good?'

'I get "clairvoyance". That make two. Is good, we can use one.'

'That's great. Being able to see someone's cards will be very useful at some point. Anything else of value?'

'Hm, got "accompany"... "return"..."list". Useful but no the ones we want.'

You sighed. 'Yeah, we really need to get our hands on "clone", but...'

'Hello you two,' a familiar voice said and you jumped to your feet to greet him.

'Shal. You're here. Any news? What about Kallu? And Chrollo too?' You paused to take a breath and were about to give him a hug when Fei cleared his throat unnecessarily loud, and Shal laughed and held his hands up in mock fear.

'No touching, I promise.' Instead of hugging you, Shal placed a hand on Feitan's shoulder. 'Still that jealous, huh?'

'I no jealous,' Fei huffed, pulling you closer, completely ignoring the way you rolled your eyes at him.

Shalnark looked between you and Fei and smiled merrily. 'You're still so cute together. I take it that everything is going well here.'

'Make good progress. Will not fail mission.' Fei said as you all sat down again.

'Of course not,' Shalnark said. 'We all knew it'd take some time.'

Fei grunted, and Shal laughed before turning to you.

'Not much news I'm afraid. Everybody says "hi", even Hisoka and Illumi.' There was an annoyed grunt from Fei, and a muttered "Told you, Illumi no good," as he placed a hand on your thigh. You decided to ignore him for now and instead focused on Shalnark.

'Did Illumi say anything about Kallu? I take it he still didn't wake up.'

'No, nothing new,' Shal confirmed your guess, 'He'll make arrangements to bring him back to the Arena when you've succeeded.'

'Great,' relieved you smiled at him, but then a thought occurred to you and you started swearing instead. They both gave you a questioning look.

'He's unconscious. Kallu I mean. So he can't use hatsu to enter the game.' Hopelessness clutched at your chest, and crestfallen you stared into Shal's kind green eyes. 'It's not going to work, I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner.'

'Don't worry,' Shalnark said. 'Illumi said he can handle it. I couldn't do it over such a great distance but it seems our abilities differ there. It's not something he'd lie about.'