Spider vs Spider Part 1

~ * ~

'You're sure you want to do this?' you asked, 'We've finally started to narrow down the whereabouts of that Binolt guy. We know the area he likes to hunt in. Wouldn't it make more sense...'

'I sure.' Fei said, and you barely resisted rolling your eyes. Of course he was sure. He always was, second-guessing his decisions was not in his nature. 'Even after get clone, we need money. Either to find player with Angel Breath and steal it, or keep buying spell cards until can trade for it.' He chuckled coldly. 'Also, this monster sound fun, and anyway we close to lair. Is worth.'

His book popped open and you both looked at the blinking marker on the map, the path you were on leading you directly toward it. He was right, you knew that. Still, this whole quest made you feel uneasy, a feeling amplified by the creepy woods around you. Even though the sun was high in the sky the forest was dark and the air surprisingly cold, making you shiver and goosebumps cover your bare arms. Looking at the map again you realized that you were almost there, your nerves twitching and your stomach clenching at the thought of what might be waiting for you.

The closer you got, the scarcer the trees became and you soon found yourselves in a small clearing. It was shadowed by an enormous cliff, but not as dark as the woods had been. There, on the mossclad side of the mountain, you finally saw your goal. A narrow opening, not more than a dark and sinister crack leading deep into the mountain. The mouth of the cave was high but looked barely wide enough to allow the two of you to walk through side by side, at least not on ground level though it widened slightly higher up.

Everything was quiet as you cautiously started across the clearing. Almost too quiet. Not even the buzzing and chirping of various bugs broke the somewhat ominous silence. As if not a single living thing could exist this close to whatever creature resided inside that cave.

'You wait,' Fei said, holding out an arm to stop you. 'I go first. You look-out.'

You nodded, bracing yourself, secretly thinking that your nerves were not cut out for that job. Barely breathing you watched as he approached the entrance, his frame looking so small in comparison.

Feitan stopped just as a small movement caught your attention and you strained your eyes, staring into the dark cave. A gangly, segmented, hairy leg broke free from the darkness, stretched forward and a doubly clawed paw was soundlessly placed onto the dry ground. It was soon followed by another, then yet another, and another. The folded legs were like a small forest in themselves. What you assumed to be the knees reached almost to the roof of the opening, each leg easily as wide as your body.

A round head with double rows of black pearly eyes and sharp-looking fangs came into view, then a huge bulbous abdomen smoothly squeezed through the opening. It was quickly followed by another four legs folded neatly next to its body, and with a sinking feeling in your stomach, you realized just what kind of monster lived here.

A spider. How ironic. A huge fucking spider.

The sheer size of it was incomprehensible. As soundlessly as it had appeared it charged forward, fast enough that you could barely follow its movements. The many legs were a blur as Feitan almost elegantly moved out of the way just as one of the front legs smashed down on the spot where he'd been standing less than a second ago. Darting in, his nen claws slashed at the leg with an almost metallic sound, but despite his strength he didn't manage to break the hard skin. You frowned, that strike should have gone right through that leg, but then again... This was the equivalent of a boss fight after all, so it wasn't going to go down that easy. Ren activated and your small nen blade at the ready you watched as Feitan and the giant spider traded attacks moving back and forth across the clearing at eyewatering speed.