Chapter 20

Six Months Later

Byun Baekhyun's Point of View

It's been six months since that incident took place in Tokyo; since then, I haven't been able to communicate properly with Taeyeon.

I still can't believe that that was how she treated me the first time we'd seen each other again after a month. Maybe I was wrong for thinking I could at least get her to hug me.

It's getting harder and harder to see her face. I'm getting worn out day by day, but I still want to hang by the thread that's keeping me hopeful of her affection for me—the affection I had created from playful threats and childish texts.

Asking Taeyeon how her day went is becoming more like a chore than a way for me to receive updates from her. She finds my jokes boring, never returns my missed calls, and constantly pushes me away. She also thinks I'm careless despite the public eye monitoring our every movement.

Our "date walks before sunrise" has been replaced with "morning calls after waking up," and our "lovestagram" has been replaced with "being careful of posting pictures and writing captions."

I, at one point, eventually stopped being playful and talkative with her as I felt more like a cross to bear in her life.

Maybe Chanyeol was right when he said I changed. I became someone who talks in his mind in a constant manner when I would usually talk my thoughts out loud. I became someone who follows the voice in my head when I typically find ways to express my true self.

There were times I put her needs before my own, times I made sure she was okay when I had just cried out of frustration, and times I craved her solace but never received any.

Is this okay? Am I okay?

Kim Taeyeon's Point of View

"EXO is a rookie group, so they will come before SNSD. Your group's not attending MAMA this year."

"We're preparing for your solo debut, so you better not blow it up with your relationship with Baekhyun."

"Issue another dating scandal, and we'll terminate your contract."

Countless absurd things have I heard from the public, and my company's no different.

I spent half a year running away from Baekhyun's love for the sake of everyone around. Half a year of hiding behind the camera; half a year of concealing my emotions; half a year of living another person's life.

"Mom, Dad!" I called.

As opposed to the past, I now visit my parents anytime I don't have any schedule for the next few days. Time seems to be dragging compared to when I'm with Baekhyun, where time flies freely, so I need to find and do something to distract me.

Jiwoong, my older brother, tapped me on the shoulder, "Taeyeon, you're here."

I smiled at him and went straight to my room just to notice that it was a mess. I began picking things up from the floor and was about to get my dirty clothes in the laundry, but my dad entered with a basket in his hand.

He smiled, "You're here. Go and take a rest, I'll do it for you."

"Did Mom tell you to clean my room in my stead again?" I giggled and hugged him as he nodded.

He caressed my hair gently and asked, "Are you doing well, my daughter?"

I averted his gaze and just pouted to avoid bawling my eyes out.

He gestured we sit on my bed and talk for a bit. He let the basket go and held my hand, "Are they still picking on you?"

His sweet and gentle voice touched my heart while a lump formed in my throat. Perhaps, I'd been waiting to hear those words.

My eyes ended up shedding tears as my dad made me feel that he was on my side when everyone else was working against me.

He clicked his tongue, "They should stop making my daughter cry, really."

I didn't know he knew what I was going through and that I kept crying because of it. I didn't want my parents to worry about me, so I never talked to them about it.

I burst out in tears and started whimpering like a child before I even knew it. My vision was blurred to the point I couldn't see my dad's face.

He placed my head on his shoulder and stroked my back with his warm hand. He comforted me, "You're not doing anything wrong, Taeyeon. It's not your fault. It's people's delusions that are breaking both you and Baekhyun down." He chuckled, "Do you know the best version of Taeyeon I've come across in my 26 years being a dad?" He slipped in a piece of joke, "When you started dating Baekhyun."

He wiped my tears dry and said, "Don't break your heart, hon... And don't break Baekhyun's heart too."

Even in this situation, he's trying to make me laugh.

He stood up and picked something from my drawer. He gave it to me, "Do you recall Jiwoong giving you the herbal tea that Baekhyun had made? Baekhyun had sneaked in a letter, but Jiwoong dropped it by accident in front of the house." He tapped me on the shoulder and joked, "Gotta get going and do the laundry before your mom kicks me out."

I started sobbing before even reading it, but it was Baekhyun's handwritten letter from months ago.

[Refer to Chapter 16]

Why'd he never bring this up? It must've been bothering him not to hear from me after writing such a letter.

Why'd he keep on acting like everything's okay in front of me? I would've preferred if he cusses me out with all his might, but he never does and only looks out for me instead.

I grabbed my purse while holding onto the letter and was about to head out to make up with Baekhyun, but some of my girls came rushing in, "Taeyeon! You wouldn't believe who worked with Dispatch and spread the news of your relationship with Baekhyun!"