Chapter 28

Kim Taeyeon's Point of View

Shaking my hand away from his touch, Baekhyun seems disgusted by them. The way he let my hands drop makes me feel like my heart has stopped beating and I immediately freeze.

I take control of my emotions and set them aside. I press the emergency button and watch how the nurses rush into the room with Yoosung behind.

He groans, "Ah, how many times is this room going to call me today?"

I'm appalled by his reaction, but I explain, "Baekhyun just woke up."

He blinks a few times before going up to Baekhyun and checking his vitals. He does a few tests to see Baekhyun's responsiveness, "Baekhyun, can you hear me? Can you follow my finger with your eyes?" Then, Yoosung approaches me with a smile, "He's finally awake. He may be confused and agitated at times, but it's completely normal. He may start rehab the day after tomorrow."

I repeat what he said and ask, "'The day after tomorrow?' That fast?"

He sneaks in a smug smile before quickly remembering to act professionally, "I told you he was recovering like a dog- I mean, so fast, very fast..."

Is it okay that Baekhyun's doctor is his own friend? I'm kinda scared for him...

After the nurses with Yoosung had left the room, I opened my laptop to do a little research about patients recovering from a traumatic coma.

"The stages of coma recovery are as follows: the patient's eyes opening, their body reacting to pain, and finally, their ability to speak."

Baekhyun's watching me with only his eyes moving, and I'm trying so hard not to make eye contact because he looks scary when his eyes are without affection. It makes me tremble, but it's not enough reason to leave him alone and helpless in a hospital room.

I tilt my head before approaching Baekhyun with a pen. I take his right hand gently and place my pen on his thumb, right below his nail. I press the pen down with my thumb and my index finger underneath to see if he can feel any pain.

He winces in pain, and we look at each other. He's looking at me like he didn't believe I would do that, while I'm looking at him like he shouldn't be feeling any pain.

Dang... he does recover real fast. 

Kim Taeyeon's Point of View

Dang... she catches on real fast.

I don't want to blow my cover, but she's doing everything—to make sure I'm fine and well, I know—to blow my cover.

What is she? A doctor? Why would she do that to my thumb with a pen?

I watch her every movement, and I can tell that she's uneasy being in the same room with me. She can't sit still—she fidgets with her fingers; she also can't stand still—she paces back and forth. She's acting like I can't see her and process what she's doing, but I've been awake for days now.

Taeyeon sits next to me and just stares at me with worried eyes, although I'm not sure why she does this because for the past year and the last months of our relationship, all she did was run away from me.

All the hardships I went through after going public with Taeyeon come flooding back in my memories. My blood boils with rage, but all I can do is cry while looking at her. Just when I thought I would be able to look at Taeyeon and not feel anything, I'm here shedding tears, not knowing what to do next.

Taeyeon is flustered after seeing me cry. She stands up from her seat and looks for a napkin before wiping my tears dry. She gets alarmed, "Why? What's wrong?"

My friends slide the door open and storm in just in time, "Baekhyun! How you doin'?"

They're so taken aback seeing me and Taeyeon together that they start bumping into each other's backs in a line. Kyungsoo chokes on his own saliva, "Is Baekhyun aw-awake? Did you guys see each other?"

I turn my head the other way 'cause I feel like wailing just knowing that Taeyeon is standing beside me. I thought I would be able to block her out of my life, but seeing her now makes me think I won't be able to resist letting her in my life... loving her again.

Some of my friends take Taeyeon outside, while some come near to console me. Jongdae asks with his concerned eyebrows, "What's wrong? I thought you wanted to see her?"

I sniffle and bring my palm to my forehead, "I don't know. I'm sorry. I didn't know I wasn't ready to see her yet."

"No, no. It's nothing to be sorry about," Junmyeon says as he caresses my shoulder.

"Whenever you're ready, Baekhyun," Minseok smiles at me and pats my head.

Lay sits on the bed and asks, "So... do you want her to go for now?"

I shake my head, "I don't ever want to see her again."

The four of them look at each other, and I know what they're thinking. I know that they know all I really want is Taeyeon back in my life, but she's done great harm to me.

She's why I'm hurting and heartbroken for a long time now. She's why I'm not planning to go public with my next girlfriend, if I even date one after her. She's why I'm not motivated to continue my career as EXO's Baekhyun, if not for my friends who have supported my every step. She's the reason I spent a month confined to a hospital room and will continue to be stuck for another day, weeks, or months.

Everything's not what I would have imagined myself getting into three years ago, but knowing that I would wind up here makes me question if helping her get to her dorm unscathed while she was intoxicated was the right call. 'Cause I'm regretting it now...