Chapter 22

Byun Baekhyun's Point of View

This almost feels illegal.

Taeyeon and I are at a mall to shop for new clothes and try out new food corners together. I stole a glance at her, and she looked free from any burdens I thought she might be having.

We're used to putting a few disguises on and wearing oversized shirts to alter our figures, but right now, all we're donning is a cap to show that we at least tried not to draw any attention from the public—although it's no use since everyone is already looking at us... quite obviously. Some are taking pictures, filming videos, yelling congrats, and whispering disgusting words.

We entered a small business clothing store and began searching the place. Taeyeon wore her cap backward, revealing a bruised forehead. I cautiously touched it and felt that it was swelling.

I bent down a bit and asked, "Does it hurt?"

She shook her head and grinned as I rubbed her nape with my thumb. Chanyeol has a matching bruise right on his cheek after getting knocked into this morning. He's been guilt-tripping that I should do something about his "handsome face that's now bruised."

We went about our day like any other couple would but with the shadow of a crowd trailing behind. If other people put themselves in our shoes, they might feel suffocated given that we're being stalked 24/7; however, to be able to roam and date in public with Taeyeon is a dream come true.

"I heard there's a meteor shower tonight. 'Beotgogae Tunnel is a well-known location for stargazing.'  Let's go to Yangpyeong and stargaze. Please..."

"Shall we go see a movie? Horror movie! Oh, wait... I'll let you pick!"

"SHINee! SHINee has a concert this week. We should go!"

"I bought a stunning black dress. Can you take me to a fancy restaurant?"

She's been openly going on dates with me and has been displaying her affection toward me both in private and in public. It's not that I'm complaining—I love it, trust me—but it's like she has changed overnight, and as much as I'd rather not consider it, I have to ask myself, at what cost?

Being in a relationship while working in the entertainment industry doesn't feel right, and we're right in front of the public eye at that. Never before have idols behaved so recklessly as we have during the past month, and it feels like I'm throwing everything out on the line.

I picked up my phone and started phoning Taeyeon with shaking hands.

I don't feel good...

When she failed to answer my call, my anxiety got the best of me to the point I couldn't think straight. I grabbed a taxi to reach our company building after hearing that Taeyeon had gone there because she had been summoned by the headquarters.

I stood behind the door and could hear men shouting.

"You're getting bolder, aren't you? Fancy restaurant, huh? Are you bragging about the money you earn from the company you're destroying?"

"What is going on in that tiny head of yours, Kim Taeyeon!"

"Are you aware of the harm your imprudence is causing the company's reputation?"

"When are you going to learn? Are you really planning to quit everything for a foolish love?"

"Do you want to bring doom to your group and his? Is that what you want?"

The rage I'm experiencing from within is causing my entire body to shake. I slammed the door open and saw at least four old men abusing their positions to harass Taeyeon verbally.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed right after making a loud "bang" with the door.

Taeyeon flinched while everyone avoided looking at me in the eye. They cleared their throat and could only let out a sigh.

My tears welled up in anger, "Have you lost all of your minds?"

Taeyeon wiped her tears and blocked me from doing anything more, "Stop. Don't make a scene, please." She dragged me out of the conference room into an empty room.

She's trying to control her emotions, but I could tell she's on the verge of breaking down. "Th-the company's stocks are affected and are declining day by day we're together. We can't do this anymore, Baekhyun," she panics as her whole body trembles in fear.

I held both of her shoulders and told her, "Taeyeon, the company's stocks aren't for you to stress over. They shouldn't blame you for it. It's their job to take care of the company and their idols."

"B-but we can't be selfish," she uttered with a knitted eyebrow.

I sighed, "I told you not to think about anything else and be selfish."

"Then, let me be selfish and break up with you, Baekhyun!" she raised her voice as if she'd been holding a lot within for a long time.

I was taken back and whispered, "What?"

"You don't know how much I've suffered just to be with you, do you? I don't remember when I had a good night's sleep ever since I dated you. My dreams are filled with monstrous beasts chasing after me, and I wake up every night just to feel my head breaking into pieces. I- I can't take this anymore," she bursts into tears as her eyes were filled with sorrow.

I couldn't utter a single word. I could only look at her eyes and wonder where it went wrong. I never saw her in so much pain, and I'm aware that I'm largely to blame.

I went near to wrap her in my arms in hopes that I could ease her pain, but she continued, "Let's stop this."

Her emotionless gaze, for a moment, turned my confusion and worry to anger. I clenched my jaw and grabbed her by the arm. I looked straight into her eyes and asked, "Have you thought long enough about this?"

She stared right back at me, "Oh, I've thought about it for months, Byun Baekhyun."