Chapter 27

Byun Baekhyun's Point of View

Staring at the white ceiling and walls has been my daily routine, and it's not fun. Not being on good terms with Chanyeol is also not fun.

Someone knocks on the door, and I wait for someone to come in and see me. It was Chanyeol. I feel awkward to see him, so I avert my eyes outside the window.

"Taeyeon's coming," he briefly says.

My eyes widen, and I look at him with my jaw open.

"In fifteen minutes. Gotta do what you learned in your acting classes, I guess," he sneers before leaving.

Ugh... Was he trying to make me trip on my own or what?

I calm myself down 'cause the machine is reading how fast my heart's beating. I close my eyes and try to sleep, but it's just not working.

I pressed the emergency button to get Yoosung running to my room, and he did in only a minute. He asks with chopsticks and a napkin in his hands, "What's wrong?"

I panic, "Taeyeon's coming!"

His worry melts into an annoyed face, "And you felt the urge to push the emergency button?"

I grasp the sheets, wrinkling them, "What should I do? I don't want her to know I'm awake."

He cleans his chopsticks with the napkin before placing them in his chest pocket with his other pens, "What do you mean you don't want her to know you're awake, and what do you mean what should you do?" He grabs one of the oranges from my basket of fruits and starts peeling it, "I told you what to do: not let her suffer."

"Not... let her suffer?"

I hear footsteps approaching. I immediately assume it's Taeyeon, so I pretend I'm still in a coma like how Taeyeon knows that I am.

Kim Taeyeon's Point of View

I wake up to someone ringing my doorbell and notice I fell asleep on my couch last night. I open the door while still half-asleep and see Kyungsoo at my door.

I squint my eyes at the shine of sunlight and rub my eyes, "Kyungsoo? What brings you here?"

He smiles, "Hi. We were just wondering why you stopped visiting Baekhyun at the hospital. Is everything alright?"

My heart beats rapidly at the thought of Baekhyun's health declining, "I-Is he okay? Didn't he already wake up?"

He rubs his forehead with his index finger and thumb pressing his temple, "Oh, have you heard? He woke up for only a few minutes and went back to being unconscious, and he hasn't woken up since. Don't worry, Yoosung said it can happen to most patients, and it's totally fine." He points to the van with his thumbs in my driveway and asks, "So... are you coming?"

I unhesitatingly nod, "Yes. I'll just go change and get my things."

He places his hands in his pockets and replies, "Okay, I'll wait for you in the van then."

We enter Baekhyun's room and are greeted by his doctor. He has a few pieces of orange in his mouth and is still able to smile at us, "Hey~ Kyungsoo... Ms. Taeyeon... It's nice to see you again."

I chuckle, "Hi, Doc. I heard that Baekhyun woke up while I was away?"

"Baekhyun? Yeah, he-" he looks at Kyungsoo, then looks back at Baekhyun, then back at me, "Yes. Actually, it was funny 'cause the reason he woke up was because of the discomfort he was feeling."

I giggle, "So he woke up just to complain about that?"

He nods 'til his phone starts ringing and says that has to leave for work. Half an hour later, Kyungsoo picked up a phone call and later said that he also had to leave. Now I'm with Baekhyun alone.

I sit on a chair beside Baekhyun's bed, while he's sleeping soundly. I'm back to staring at him while he sleeps because that's all I can do for now.

I would love it if he wakes up and we go back to how we were before. We'd laugh all night, go on dates like a normal couple, and even talk about our future. That's until I remind myself how he ended up on a hospital bed.

It's all me. I was deceiving everyone. Deceiving my friends that I'm not in love with Baekhyun anymore; deceiving my parents that I'm in too much pain to date Baekhyun again; and deceiving myself that I need to leave him for everyone's sake, especially his.

Baekhyun only received doom that he never deserved after dating me. It was my group's manager who spread the news through Dispatch that we were dating in the first place—the news that shook the public and our relationship. After that, everything felt like nothing was going in our favor. Haters would go as far as posting hateful comments on social networks, shouting insults while we were at work, and protesting against our career and relationship.

While we were both hurting, I worked myself to the point of exhaustion so that I could get Baekhyun out of my head and stop worrying; as a result, I was pushing Baekhyun away and hurting more than he already was. He never did anything wrong, but he always thought that it was all his fault.

I needed a reason to leave him out of this mess I caused because of who I am—the leader of Girls' Generation, who debuted way before Baekhyun's group did. Hence, I hired my uncle so that I could break up with Baekhyun, but I didn't think he'd persistently pursue me afterward. I'd receive something—gifts, flowers, letters, packed meals—daily, and they'd just remind me of how precious Baekhyun was and how I loved him only to break his heart in the end.

I didn't realize I was crying at my own thoughts until I heard myself sob hard. I wipe the tears on my face and those which found their way down to my neck.

I lean on my own arm to take a nap, holding Baekhyun's hand with my right. My nap was cut short when something moved. I check the time, and it reads 1:52, which tells me I was asleep for about an hour.

I look up to find Baekhyun staring directly into my eyes. I feel my heart shrink as I stare back at him. His eyes which were once full of love and warmth are now filled with emptiness and hatred.