Chapter 26

Byun Baekhyun's Point of View

I sigh, "Doctor, is there any way we can turn the beeping of this machine off? It's annoying me."

He laughs, "Your girlfriend spent the past month listening to it. How come you can't handle it after just three days of being awake?"

"The past month...?"

My doctor writes something on the clipboard before tossing it on a chair, "Okay, that's enough as your doctor." He scoffs as he crosses his arms against his chest and looks at me with knitted eyebrows, "You're such an ungrateful jerk. For your information, Taeyeon basically lived here and would leave only to come back for you."

I frown at him, "And what a doctor you are... Cursing at a patient who's been unconscious for a whole month."

"I'm also your friend, so I can do whatever I want," Yoosung arches a brow at me.

I won't question the fact that my doctor can easily kill me with his skilled hands whenever he wants to, but damn, I think I need a new doctor...

"Hey, I'm being serious. Don't let her suffer," he gives me a serious look, then rolls his eyes, "She's my idol. I mean, she was our idol 'til you dated her. The articles about the both of you have been circling for a month now. They're not stopping, and it's crazy." He sighs, "I can't see her in pain, you idiot."

I groan in annoyance, "Get out of here."

Taeyeon stayed here? Hm... I think I know that better than anybody else.

FLASHBACK

White and bright ceiling welcomed me as my heavy eyelids opened against my will. I was about to go back to sleep when I realized that I was not in my own room but lying on a hospital bed.

It feels like I've been sleeping since I was a kid...

My eyes caught the girl I wanted to kiss the most. She was walking around the room busily, so she didn't notice when I woke up. I couldn't move any of my body and even talk, but I saw her sit down while she wrote on a paper—probably drawing 'cause that's how she kills her time—before dozing off.

|~~~|

I woke up to see a familiar face right in front of me. It's my friend who studied medicine and is now a successful doctor—Yoosung. He's looking at me like he's been waiting for me to quit my act and come clean.

Ah, he knows I'm awake...

Still, I glared at him and shook my head as if I was telling him that he better not ruin my plan—which is not letting everyone know I'm already awake.

Someone came out of the restroom, so I closed my eyes and heard Taeyeon speak, "Oh, doctor. You're here. I just finished disinfecting his wounds. How is he?"

Meanwhile, my friend, who's not so good at acting, stuttered, "He's r-recovering fast, but we s-still don't know when he'll get to fool around with us... again."

Mentally facepalming, I should've made him tag along with me when I was taking acting classes... So disappointed.

+=+=+=+=+=+

The guys come barging into the room noisier than ever.

Jongdae's fighting with Chanyeol for whatever—probably dumb—reason, while the mature group—Junmyeon, Minseok, Lay, and Kyungsoo—went to see how I was doing first. Sehun... he's laughing at the two fighting, and Jong In... he's on his phone.

These boys act like I wasn't in a coma for a while.

"How're you?" Kyungsoo asks with a smile.

Junmyeon says as he prepares my breakfast, "Kyungsoo made you chicken porridge."

Minseok sits on my bed while being careful not to unplug any of the wires beside the bed and chuckles, "That was the longest time I heard you not talk."

"I thought we'd lose you," Lay taps my shoulder, "Tell us anything you want, and we'll do it for you!"

There is silence as if they're waiting for me to answer, so I ask, "Where is she?"

Chanyeol murmured under his breath, then Jongdae gave him a shoulder slap, "So much for telling him to get well soon, Lay..."

The guys avoid meeting my eye after I ask that. They probably know who I'm referring to that's why they can't easily talk to me about her, especially since they know who hurt me the most.

Junmyeon is the first one to break the ice, "She's been busy working on her new song. It's called <11:11>."

I utter in a monotone, "If she's busy, then she wouldn't have been able to stay with us for a month..."

Jongdae runs up to me and asks in his loud voice, "How'd you know that Taeyeon was here?"

I looked at Chanyeol whose face had darkened with the mention of her name. I ask everyone to step outside and make room for Chanyeol and me, "Can I talk to Chanyeol?"

He sits on the bed next to my feet after everyone left. He leans on one arm straightened out on the bed and slaps my knee out of nowhere, "What do you want to talk to me about? You're making me nervous."

"I wanna see her," I look at him, trying to convince him otherwise of what he feels about her.

I watch him roll his eyes and click his tongue. He says without looking at me, "Really? The first thing you look for is her? Like you never got in this situation because of her?"

"It was my fault, Chanyeol. I was driving past the speed limit with all the tears blocking my sight, while I was also trying to find my phone to call you," I explain.

I never saw Chanyeol get mad until now. He looks at me angrily, "And you did, Byun Baekhyun. You called me, and the first thing I fvcking heard was you getting into a crash. Like Lay said, we thought we'd lose you forever. Because of Taeyeon? Not gonna happen, not on my watch, not ever."

I frown at him in defeat after realizing that this fight would be long, difficult, and useless, "Whatever."

He sighs and leaves the room as if defeated when I'm the one who lost the argument.

How'd it end like this?

Chanyeol was the one who'd give me a ride to her dorm to see her. He was the one who'd listen to my stories. He was the one who'd push me to do something for her and tease me about it.

But he's come to hate her guts now, and I'm, like always, largely to blame. Chanyeol saw how much I was in pain after Taeyeon dumped me, and it was enough for him to hate someone because of it, especially now that I ended up in a hospital room with tons of machines connected to my body.