Chapter 27 : Confessions

The truth really can hurt you, even when you least expect it.

Devon's Pov

We all set in the living room, huddled around the glass table in the middle of the room. The wine bottle was placed on the table along with four shot glasses.

"Who's going first?", I asked in a playful tone.

"I'll go first.", Danzel replied. I grabbed a glass and poured wine into and handed it to Danzel. He took a quick shot and slowly wiped his lips. He smirked playfully.

"I confess that I once smoked weed and got so high. The next day when I woke I found myself in my bathtub which was full of vodka. I was 19 years old when that happened."

We all laughed hysterically, exchanging comments and questions.

"You're fucken crazy man.", Evanly laughed. I stared at her beautiful smile, it made my heart skip a beat.

"Who's next?", I raised a glass full of wine.

"Me! Me!", Evanly shouted.

I handed her the glass, she grabbed it, gently brushing her fingers against my hand. She gave me a smile and took a shot.

"Alright. I confess that I once stole my mom's car to piss her off. I didn't know how to drive so I crashed into some guy's mercadise Benz but I drove off before anyone could see me. I was 17 years old.",

We all paused and exchanged glances then burst into laughter. This was the most enjoyable time I've had in a long while of course I'm not forgetting about 'Me and Evanly'...

"Alright, who's next?"

"I'll go again!", Danzel grabbed the glass out of my hand and aggressively drank it."

He let out a deep sigh.

"I know what I'm about to say will make some of us mad. I'm really sorry Conilliouse and to you too Devon.", he took a deep breath. "I confess that Evanly and I once kissed."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. What the fuck did I just hear?!

"Excuse me what!?", I slammed the bottle of wine on the table and stood up.

"Hold on, I can explain, Devon. I-it was just one time and It was a mistake...", Evanly stammered. She gave me a guilty look as if she never wanted me to know about this.

"Danzel, how could you kiss her?", I looked at with a hurt look and in disbelief. My own brother kissed the woman of my dreams. The woman I had been longing for.

"I only kissed her once and I thought you were still continuing with our bet!", Danzel quickly realise what he had just said. He went silent and looked at Evanly who set there with a look of confusion. Conillious too realised what had just happened and tried to stand up and intervene but Danzel held her back.

"Evanly...I can explain", A look of dread came onto my face. My eyes widened at the realisation that the very thing I had been avoiding for so long had finally caught up to me.

"What do you mean by your bet?", she stood up from the couch and looked at me, waiting for my explanation. Shit! What do I do? Do I tell her the truth or lie? No, I can't possibly lie again.

I sighed and looked down. I knew the outcomes of this was going to be bad but I had no choice. I hated to lie to her. She needs to know the truth, even if it hurts...

"Well...i-i", I couldn't sum up the words to speak.

"Devon!", she demanded. Her voice filled with anger and hurt.

"This was all a bet at first. I was depressed after getting dumbed. Danzel saw how miserable I was and he thought; why not make a bet just to cheer me up. He said if find any woman, make her fall for me in a year and break up with her. I'd win a huge sum of money."

Evanly looked at Devon in disbelief and a hurt look.

"S-so this was just a bet and you were going to break up with me In two months?"

"I know It looks bad but Its not a bet anymore. I love you and I mean it...", i tried to hold her hand. She quickly stepped away from me and looked at me with teary eyes.

"You lied to me! You made me think that you actually loved me? H-how could you!? You fucken jerk!", she began sobbing, angry tears filled her raging eyes.

"I...I'm Sorry, Evanly but I swear I meant every single word I said that night, I mean it! I love you!", I walked towards her but she stepped back again.

"Don't come near me!", she screamed.

I looked beside me and saw Danzel and Conilliouse's worried faces. I saw the guilt that was written all over Danzel's face. They set there, watching the fight go down.

I turned to look at a weeping Evanly.

"Evanly, please believe me! I wanted to tell you but..."

"But you were too much of a coward to do it...", she slowly stepped back and ran outside into the cold night. I ran after her, I shouted her name out loud trying to stop her.

"Evanly! Please! We can talk about this! Evanly! Evanly!", right as I caught up to her and quickly threw my arms around her. She kicked, screamed and cried.

"Let go of me! Let me go!", she struggled to free herself from my strong grip on her.

"Please just hear me out."

"I said let me fucken go!", she sobbed finally giving in and loosening her tense body. I let go of her and she fell back. She scrambled her way up and stepped back.

"I'm sorry, Evanly...i didn't mean for you to find out like this. I wanted to tell you when the time was right, i...im really sorry, Evanly...",

She wiped her tears away and let out a deep sigh. She looked at me painfully.

"I don't want to hear it. I'll make your bet simpler for you. How much was the prize money?" She sniffled.

"$800 000..."

"And yet you have a hundred times more than that! Why? Why, Devon?", tears rolled down her cheeks. The hurt look on her beautiful face made my heart shatter into a million pieces. A shadow of pain overtook us.

"I...I'll make it easy for you.", she sighed. "Its over between us. You can go get your money and I'll be out of your life...",

My heart stopped beating for a second. I felt my chest tighten. A lump forming in my throat.

"W-wait! No! Please don't do this. I'm begging you! I love you, Evanly.", tears began filling my eyes.

"It was fun while it lasted...", tears streaming down her cheeks, she wiped them away and turned away.

She walked away from me, towards the mansion. I fell down on my knees. I felt a wave of pain wash over me. Angry tears filled my eyes. Why couldn't I tell her before! I should've been honest with her from the start. I fucked up...

"She broke up with me..."

~To be continued...~