Chapter 118: Rescued (1)

Ding Xiuxiu ran, and ran again, only realizing that something was wrong after running for a while.

It was quiet. Everything was quiet around her. The only sound left was the sound of her own footsteps.

She stopped in her steps and turned around, only to see darkness with a faint light in the distance. Other than that, she could not make out anything else.

Being alone caused her fear to grow even stronger.

Does she stay here, continue to run, or run back where she came?

That was a problem.

Ding Xiuxiu's mind was blank, and her limbs began to shake.

Finally, she decided that she may end up taking the wrong path if she turned back now, and she may get lost if she kept going, so she might as well wait here.

Ding Xiuxiu squatted down and cradled her head, thinking in her heart, mommy, I really want to go home...

At this moment, something hard was pressed against her head.

Ding Xiuxiu: ...

What is that?

A gun?

Am I going to die here?"

Ding Xiuxiu felt her body grow cold as her limbs stiffened.

She should look up to see who it is, dodge aside, or hold the gun in her hands tight, follow the flow.

But she couldn't do anything.

She was scared. So scared that the air was practically drained from her body.

"Raise your head."

The voice of the speaker was very deep.

Ding Xiuxiu slowly raised her head and saw only darkness...

"Confirmed, protect the target." Following the words of the man, the hard feeling was gone from Ding Xiuxiu's head.

The situation on Ye Xi's side was much more dangerous. She had been taken into Wei Shenglan's embrace, and she could feel the constant trembling of his whole body.

After being at a loss of what to do for a moment, she immediately entered came back into her senses and took up the role of the person who would pass him the bullets.

But this place was so dark. Compared to handing him the bullets, it was much more convenient for Wei Shenglan to just take from the stash he had on his person.

Bullets whizzed past the air, but they didn't hit anyone.

The traffickers across the river sometimes ran to the right, and sometimes to the left, moving in a perfectly snake-like zigzag evasive pattern that not any average joe could master.

And because of how professional their zigzag evasion was, Wei Shenglan's bullets did not reach them either.

"Ack!"

A pained cry could be heard nearby. Ye Xi identified it was Luo Nuanfeng's voice.

"Keep hidden!" Luo Nuanfeng shouted and continued, "They seem to have a sniper on their side."

Wei Shenglan hid behind a trunk and asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. If I didn't happen to be lowering my head, that would've been a headshot."

When they all heard this, they immediately hid behind the trees.

Ye Xi tried to imagine the situation and felt that the only part Luo Nuanfeng could be hit would be the scalp. He wouldn't turn bald from that, right...?

The traffickers at the other side were still firing at them, but when they saw their enemies stop firing, they stopped to discuss and decided to cross the river to pursue them.

They reloaded their guns, took off their shoes, and went into the river. While crossing over to where Wei Shenglan and the others were, they continued to fire towards that direction.

Ye Xi and the rest have already hidden behind obstacles, but they could still see what they were going. When they saw them crossing the river, they instantly became anxious.

Ye Xi wanted to open her mouth and speak, but recalling that Wei Shenglan could hear the voice of her heart, she thought, "They have snipers, and they're crossing the river right now. We should deal with the guys in the river first and then quickly run away. That might give us a chance to escape. We'll be done for if they make it over here."

Wei Shenglan nodded and nudged the top of Ye Xi's head with his jaw.

Ye Xi: ...

Even though she understood his meaning, this response was still a bit too strange.

Wei Shenglan reloaded his gun and had just aimed it towards the people in the river when all of a sudden, as if they had received some sort of shock, one by one the men fell over.