Fifty Five: Enemies in the Dark

Ivy found herself spending most of her time in the luxury penthouse admiring the view of the city. If she wasn't watching the bright sunsets fade behind the skyscrapers, or be woken up by vibrant sunrises, another view she would catch herself would be a half naked Valentino stroll around the room. Her most favourite view so far would've to have been waking up to see a naked Valentino trying to cook pancakes in the large kitchen while lazily wearing the black apron. Let's just say not much cooking was achieved that morning...

Over the last few days, Valentino spent his time keeping up with work. While he could see that Ivy loved the apartment and the city, and he did too, work never stopped and the phone would always ring. He knew that he was on holiday mode, even though he was keeping himself busy keeping his head down either by answering emails or being between Ivy's thighs.

The Italians had fled back to their own country, Dante and Mr. Garcia were in hiding but Valentino didn't want to risk their safety. He rarely stayed in the city, unless he had to, as it was a lot safer at the estate, where there were rolling hills, tall shady trees and hundreds of security on guard around the clock. Twenty four hours a day and seven days a week.

But here? Sixty stories high above the streets of New York City, millions of people - strangers - lurking on the roads with limited security. It was a disaster waiting to happen. New York was known for being the base for many mobs, all from around the world but this was Valentino's home, his palace and God forbid whoever decided to show up and cause trouble on his land. His home.

There was a glow in Ivy's eyes when she'd watch the city below her feet. And maybe that's what kept Valentino anchored at the penthouse for so long. His muscles relaxed and often a small smile would stain his face as he admired her and the beauty that radiated from her. The city lights kissing the curves of her body or the golden, sunset rays that illuminated every perfection of Ivy.

It was on the second week of staying in the city that Valentino came to a sudden realization. No matter where, no matter when. No matter if danger even lurked around the corner, wherever they were, Ivy was Valentino's home. He felt content around her. That even if he brought her a shitty, ran down apartment that didn't have mesmerizing views, Ivy would somehow see the beauty in it. She would find a way to make use of the place and try to watch the sunset or the flickering night lights even if it was through the tiniest window.

Valentino never thought in a million years he'd find himself here. In a sixty million dollar penthouse bought just for the woman he'd die for. A woman that was only supposed to live for a year, his enemy who was out to kill him but ended up kidnapped and working for him instead.

Ivy leaned back into the sofa as the film on the giant T.V continued to play, creating a soft noise flowing through the open space. Valentino emerged from upstairs, buttoning up his shirt and fixing his sleeves. Catching her attention, Ivy sat up, crossing her legs underneath her body as she watched Valentino shrug on his suit coat.

"Where are you going?" She questioned and Valentino flicked his head towards her. With a smirk etched on his face, he stalked towards her, capturing her jaw with his hand as he ran his thumb along the edge.

"I just got some business to sort out, yeah? I won't be long, Princess." He mumbled, his lips lingering on hers.

Ivy glared up at him, unhappy with his answer. "Business huh? Got room for a plus one then?"

Valentino chuckled, pecking Ivy's forehead. "You don't gotta worry 'bout me, Princess. The Irish are in town early and want to discuss their shipment deal with me. I'll only be gone an hour, two max."

There was a long silence until Ivy finally sighed, her shoulders dropping and her annoyance subsiding. "Fine. But I'll be counting Mr. Black. Not a minute late, you hear me?" She muttered and Valentino chuckled.