sixteen . the bug

KEYE/C = eye color

KEY
E/C = eye color

WILBUR POV

          I was born into one of those families where you really felt abused, but were never touched

          I was born into one of those families where you really felt abused, but were never touched.. never harmed. But occasionally there were small jabs telling you to do better, telling you that someone out there is doing it better.

I was an only child, and that probably seems like I'd be spoiled and get all the attention, but I didn't. It was just as much attention as I needed, though I was a tiny bit spoiled. Whatever I wanted, I often got it. Sometimes I'd go out and film bugs with the camera my parents bought me for my eighth birthday, sometimes I'd trap them in a mason jar and treat them like my pets. And other times, I'd kill them by trapping them in a another jar with no air holes, basically suffocating them, even if I loved them, sometimes things you love need to die, sometimes you need to stop thinking about them to move on and grow up.

I was a happy kid.

Then my parents got divorced, I was still happy, just a little less, the constant reminder that other kids now had something I didn't, they would never sit at the bottom of the steps and hear their parents fighting like I did. They'd never hear screaming and shouting in the kitchen, two parents fighting and saying they can't live how they were living at that time, yelling that they both didn't want their child that they had created together. I was filled with jealously for the first time in my life.

My mother was a simple yet mean woman when she needed to be. She didn't love someone or something if they or it didn't love her back. I was somehow the complete opposite, I was falling in love with absolute strangers. Her behavior made life difficult sometimes, I had a dog once, it didn't love her much and luckily I kept him when my parents split up since I chose my father's side.

Those years with just a father weren't bad, but sometimes they weren't good either. I was hated in school, I was the weirdo, the bad smelling kid. Then my father met someone new, but the woman had a child, a daughter. I never wanted a sibling, I was happy being an only child. Well, I always told myself that. I always wanted a brother, someone with the same interests as me. But I never got that, only a step-sister that I never got along with. She pulled my hair and I pulled hers.