twenty eight . the fire

Y/N POV

Y/N POV

             The heaviness of my older body felt nonexistent as I walked, I stand up straight in front of the mirror in my old bedroom from when I was a kid, a teen

             The heaviness of my older body felt nonexistent as I walked, I stand up straight in front of the mirror in my old bedroom from when I was a kid, a teen. My mother's footsteps were louder (and prouder) than mine, my footsteps were quiet as I tried my best to be unnoticed. She made herself in control even in my dreams.

I admire my thirteen year old self in the mirror, now truly realizing I had changed so much more than I thought. I look over to my bedroom door when I hear a pair of fingers snap together. "I'm going out, I'll be back in the morning" my mother stares at the pocket mirror in her hand, why didn't she ever get that thing sewed onto her?

"You promised you'd watch a movie with me" I remind her. "You promised me back on Tuesday too"

She smacks the pocket mirror shut, shoving it into her red velvet purse and clicking her tongue. "Tomorrow, I promise" She shuts her bag.

"That's a lie, it's always a lie" I follow her when she begins to walk away, she always did when she was losing in the conversation. "What if someone breaks in while you're gone?" I try and get her to stay.

"You've stayed home alone over a hundred times N/N, you'll survive" She rolls her eyes, quickening her pace.

"But what if this time it actually happens? And you come home to me dead?" I raise my voice, trying to gather her attention that was slowly being torn from me.

She looks over her shoulder, staring down at me. She takes in a deep breath before replying. "There's some old takeaway in the fridge, heat it up and do something" She ignores my paranoia.

"What if?!" I yell. "That one man tried to break into our house after you kicked him out, so what if he comes back--?!"

"Then check the cameras!" She snaps back at me, turning her body to face me. "I mean honestly, for fucks sake you're absolutely pathetic when it comes to anything, you can't even defend yourself? You can't use your fucking brain and think to check the cameras that I bought with my own money, to protect you--! Us!" She places a hand on her chest. "If you're scared, check the cameras"