Chapter 30

Ming Ze POV

"Ma, would you still love me if I shaved my head?" I asked in cantonese.

My mum who was- once again- baking in the middle of the night gave me a weird look.

"You do know you have like zero hair when you were young, right?" she snorted. "You used to hate having hair on your bald head."

I hummed. "Huh. At least I looked hot then too."

"You wanted to keep your hair long when you were eight. Then you ran to me with a bowl on your head, demanding that I follow the outline to trim your hair." she deadpanned. "So no, you were the least hot kid."

I scoffed. "I was hot. I am hot."

"Okay." she replied.

"Do I remind you of dad?" I asked suddenly.

Another reason why she was baking tonight. My parents used to bake every night on their anniversary. And today, it was their 21th anniversary.

This was why I stayed at home tonight instead of going over to Dean's.

Mum's movement stopped for a moment before she continued rolling the dough.

"You don't talk much about dad anymore." I said quietly, watching her every movement. "We used to talk about dad all the time."

Mum washed her hands before walking over and sat down next to me on the couch.

"I don't talk much about your dad anymore because I don't want to remind you of someone who you'll never see again." she said with a sad smile.

"I'll always see him though." I disagreed, pointing to my heart. "He's always here."

She chuckled. I touched her cheek gently and wiped off her fallen tear with my thumb.

"You look a lot like your father." she answered, pressing her palm against the back of my hand on her face. "You even act like him."

I smiled. "Do you think he's proud of me?"

"He's really really proud of you, my son. I just know that he is."

"Well, you taught me well." I grinned. "I think he's really proud of you too."

I kissed her cheek. "I love you, ma."

She smiled. "I love you too, my little rascal."

Ten minutes later, I sat on the stool next to the counter, listening to the stories about my parents when they were younger.

My parents were both national badminton players. They hated each other's guts after going against each other in the mixed finals. My mum fell for my dad first. When she and her partner won the Open Cup, dad had to go out with her as part of the bet they made.

Then they started hanging out a lot more.

Dad fell hard for mum.

"Speaking of dad, his brother is coming over any day now." mum finished with a clap of her hand.

I've never snapped my head up so quickly. "What- NO NO." I whined childishly.

Mum rolled her eyes. "Jonah has some business meetings with the other mafias." mum continued. "They're staying over for a few days."

"They? I thought Uncle Joe was coming alone??"

"Leia and your cousins are coming over too." Mum smiled, obviously already enjoying my suffering.

Uncle Joe's dad's younger brother. While dad might be the oldest, he didn't take on the role of the mafia since he ran away from home and built a new one with mum after they met.