Chapter 37

Delilah POV

I looked into the mirror for the hundredth time for the hour.

It's been twenty minutes since the makeup artists packed up their stuff, before scattering out of my room, leaving me alone to do the last touch ups.

Today was the day: my first ever mafia ball.

To most, this might not be a big deal. It was just a ball after all. But it was a ball filled with rich and dangerous people.

This ball will hold a special place in my heart for it was my oldest brother who will be hosting it.

Once again, I straightened my non-crumpled dress as I admired how I looked.

I looked like me, but not like me.

I think this would be how I look in a few years time. I looked too mature for my own good right now.

Stefano once told me, being in the mafia, we have to look more reserved in public. No wide smiles, no loud laughs, no talking about our personal life.

Speaking of the devil, my brother grasped my attention by clearing his throat. I looked shyly towards his direction as he entered my room, his gaze on me.

My oldest brother was dressed formally in an armani suit which was tailored perfectly to his body. He had a couple of golden rings, but he didn't wear his usual silver chain. His hair was gelled back professionally, leaving a few strands poking out.

And he looked as if he was about to cry.

"It's too much, isn't it?" I asked quietly as I played with the hem of the top layer of my dress.

Stef lets out a short laugh before dabbing his eyes with the edge of his suit. He held his hands open, inviting me in for a hug.

Smiling, I stepped into his protection circle and hugged him tightly. I closed my eyes as I took his the warmth that was vibrating off his body.

I wish I could stay like this forever.

"You look gorgeous, princess." he said in Italian and placed a kiss on the top of my head. "Fucking beautiful."

I chuckled. "Then why are you having tears leaking out from your eyes, huh? Am I too ugly to look at?" I joked, stepping back to look at him.

My brother laughed and hugged me again. "No, little sister, I just can't- I can't believe you grew up so quickly."

He let me go and gestured at me. "The last time I saw you, you were five, dressed in an Elsa T-shirt and a colourful skirt." he swallowed back all the emotion he's feeling. "And now... god, I wish I was there to watch you grow up." he shook his head sadly as another tear escaped.

I bit my lips and reached up to his face. I gently wiped the tear away with my thumb and rested my palm on his jaw.

He leaned into my touch. "I feel like a dad." he sniffled. "Watching you all dressed up, ready for your first ball ever."

A flood of emotions that I can't quite pinpoint on washed over his face.

I smiled and went on my tippy toes to kiss his cheeks. "I bet you'll be a great dad." I said honestly.

"I would have." he whispered.

Before I could ask what he meant, someone burst into my room with full energy and all- which, by the way, was way too early for my evening mood.

"YO YO YO WADDUP MA FAM." Maxwell boomed as he slid into my room - literally.

Like Stef, he was dressed in a suit. Only, he didn't have his blazer on, leaving him in his white button up. The three buttons on top were left unbuttoned and his sleeves were pulled up to his forearm. His hair was a mess but somehow, he managed to pull it off because...well, because he was Maxwell.