Chapter 40

Lennox POV

I was never afraid to die since I never had a reason to live.

Until I met Delilah.

She gave me a reason to live. She showed me what love feels like. She showed me what having a family felt like.

My body was aching in agony when I pulled the dagger out of my abdomen but I didn't care.

I was afraid of death now.

I was terrified of the idea of dying, but if it meant Jonathon will never be anywhere near Delilah and my girl will be safe, then so be it.

There were so many things I still wanted to say to Delilah. I've never thanked her for being in my life. I've never thanked her for everything she gave me.

I've never thanked her for the new life she gave me.

I just hope that she'll know this is my choice. And I hope she'll still love me after this.

Maybe in another life.

I felt myself backing away step by step.

Delilah and her family are getting further away from my reach.

I'm thankful that Solace understood what needed to be done. What I had to do.

"What are you doing?!" Jonathan yelled in my grip.

His leg was dislocated, his shoulder had a bullet in it. He wasn't helpless but he was weak enough for me to drag him back.

When we were far away from the exit, I let myself fall to my ass. Jonathon tried to escape but I locked him in place, infront of me.

"You're gonna kill us both!" he exclaimed in panic.

"Then so be it." I said, my voice was already raspy from the lack of water.

Sweat formed on my forehead, sliding down to meet my tears.

And then I did it. I slit the man's throat with the knife.

He gurgled and gagged on his own blood, gaggling but not dead yet.

I let myself lie down slowly, the pain now fading away.

Numb. That was how I felt. Even if I did get out, I would die. There was no saving me now.

The ceiling above me cracked and creaked, but yet it was still hanging on.

I let out a long breath and closed my eyes.

I'm tired. 

"Look at that one." my girlfriend cooed as she pointed at a star that she found pretty.

We were lying on her mansion's roof, stargazing since the night was crystal clear and we could see the beautiful stars.

"Ooh that is a pretty one." I agreed

We laid on the roof in silence as we stared at the sky while appreciating each other's comfort.

"Deli?" I whispered after a long while.

At first, I thought she was asleep since she didn't move or answer but then she turned to her sides and looked at me. Her cute grin appeared on her lips as I did the same.

"Yeah Lenny boo?" she teased

"Will you stay with me forever? Don't ever leave me?" I asked childishly while playing with her fingers.

She smiled and kissed my forehead. "I will never leave you." she whispered. "You're stuck with me, you idiot."

"Promise?"