Prolouge

A\N: As you Angels know, I'm terrible at doing multi-chapter stories. I excel at oneshots, so I'm going to do a series of oneshots about JIBBS. The oneshots will start when Gibbs is in Mexico and he and Jenny are hit with memories of the two of them as partners, as lovers, as friends, as enemies. Both POVs might be included in the chapter but I'm not sure.

Some oneshots will have trigger warnings on them so read at your own risk. I have the first 7 completely handwritten, the 8th one is in the handwritten process. I hope you enjoy it, Angels.

A million memories of us: Prologue.

Person POV: First.

Chapter count: 1.

Jenny POV

That bastard! How can he just decide to 'retire' because no one was listening to him? Childish if he asked me. I know I can't stop him from retiring, I've never been able to stop him when he says he's going to do something, but surely he remembers all the memories of us? Or at least some of the memories he has of us? He must remember some of them because he looked at me tonight the same way he looked at me the same way he did in 1999 after we had just made love for the first time in Marseille in that hot and airless attic.

Maybe this so-called retirement will be good for him, maybe he'll finally build a boat and not the damn thing on fire, maybe he'll actually go sailing on it. Maybe he'll have a quiet retirement.

Ugh, what am I thinking? It's Jethro! He'll never retire for long and even if he does he'll still find a way to do what he loves. He loves the rush of chasing criminals and breaking them in interrogation and getting justice for families. He can't sit still for long: he has to be running around the city, shooting his sidearm at the bad guys. It's just who he is. It's always been who he's been.

I watch from the top of the catwalk steps as the love of my life says goodbye to the team that has treated him like a father for so many years. After he hands Tony his badge, Jethro looks up at me and our eyes lock. I don't want to be the one who looks away first, I've done a lot of that, but I also don't want him to look away first. He looks at me once more like he did in my office and in Marseille before he turns away from me, either not seeing the tears in my eyes or ignoring them, and speaks to Ducky before the both of them walk to the elevator without a look back. The team is silent as the elevator doors close. They don't look away from the direction of the elevator and I know that they're all waiting for Jethro to come back and pull all four of them into his arms and hold them close before apologising to them, but I know he'll never do that. After half an hour of watching the young agents and the Forensic Scientist stare at the elevator, I get their attention by clearing my throat as I walk down the steps. They all turn to face me.

"Why don't you four go home, get some rest and come in at 1000 tomorrow?" Even though I pose it as a question, we all know it's not. Tony is the first one to react."We'll all stay at my place. Abs, Ziva, your spare clothes are in the guest bedroom, Tim, you can wear something of mine or we can stop at your place and grab you a change of clothes." I watch as McGee takes Abby down to her lab to gather her things. Ziva just sighs and looks sadly at Jethro's- Tony's- desk before grabbing her stuff. Tony stares at me. "I know this is inappropriate of me to ask, but would you like to have some company tonight, Director? Do you want to join us at my apartment tonight?" The young agent asks. I give him a small smile. "No, thank you, Tony. I'll be fine by myself. Thank you for the invitation but please feel free to call me if you need anything, even if it's just to talk about cases, no matter the time, please call me if you need me." I tell the agent who wraps an arm around Ziva's shoulder. "We will, goodnight, Director." The former homicide detective says before he and Ziva walk towards the elevator. "Goodnight, agents." I say as they step into the elevator, leaving me alone in an empty bullpen. I know it won't be an easy road for any of us with Jethro gone, but we'll manage, we'll have to. I'll manage without him, I managed unwillingly for six years, and now, just like then, I have a million memories of us to look back on. 

Gibbs POV

After Ducky leaves the house, the house I once shared with my beloved Shannon and Kelly, I walk downstairs to the basement where a boat was waiting for me. I smile sadly as my eye catches a photo of Jen in front of a farmhouse. I frown when I look at her hair: instead of it being long and red and hanging down in red fiery tresses, it's short and brown. Jen with any colour of hair except red just isn't the Jen I remember, not that I remember a lot of her nowadays. But from what I do remember of her is a woman who knows what she wants and what she wants, she usually gets. I know somewhere in the very back of my mind, I must have a thousand memories of us, and I hope to relive them while in retirement in Mexico with my old boss, Mike Franks.

I have a thousand memories of us that I want to relive.

A\N: This is just the prologue, not an actual chapter. (And in all my stories, Jenny's hair will remain long because I abhorred the pixie cut she had) I hope you enjoy, Angels. As usual, updates will be when I can find time to upload. Enjoy, Angels.