A million memories of us: I love you

A\N: I've always been interested in what would have happened after Jenny told Gibbs those three words and he replied with 'that'll be the day' so I wrote my own.

Oneshot 14 title: I love you

Oneshot 14 summary: What happens after Jen tells him those three words in Paris and he responds with 'that'll be the day?'

Chapter count: 1

POV: Third person

Former NCIS Special Agent and Marine Sniper Leroy Jethro Gibbs' blue eyes catches the photo he brought with him when he retired. It's the one he took of her when she was asleep in their Paris apartment a few months before she left, the day she said "I love you" to him. This particular memory has always haunted him. He frowns as the memory haunts him now.

Paris, 1999

"I love you, Jethro." Jen says to him with a smile on her face. He freezes in shock when he hears those four words. It's been years since he's been told those words so sincerely, since before Shannon was killed, and doesn't know what to say.

He likes her, how could he not? She's smart, funny, sexy, badass, can hold her own, a damn good agent, but does he love her? He doesn't know just yet.

He smirks at the redheaded agent who'a green eyes are sparkling. "That'll be the day." He says before kissing her lips and taking their empty coffee cups and putting them in the trash, not seeing the way her face slowly starts to crumple with tears filling her green eyes as he walks away.

He sighs as he leans against the chair a few tables away from where they're sitting and just watches her. She looks amazing from where he's standing, staring at her back. She's wearing blue jeans with a sweater, a black leather biker jacket she got a few weeks ago and ankle heeled boots with her red hair in a ponytail.

She's been silent all day, not speaking to him unless she's had to, and he doesn't like it. He likes hearing her talking about anything and everything. The sun is setting across Paris, covering the gorgeous redheaded agent in the last golden rays of the remaining light. Jen is sitting on the couch of their apartment living room, reading a book, ignoring him. He can't take the silence between them anymore. "Jen, talk to me." He says as he sits down on the couch beside her. Jen ignores him and carries on reading her book. Gibbs groans loudly as he snatching her book out of her hands, earning himself a glare, a glare that makes HIM flinch.

"What do you want, Jethro?" Jen asks him coldly. Gibbs sighs as he looks at her. "Why aren't you talking to me?" Jen barks out a laugh, void of any humor. "Are you serious? Do you remember what I told you this morning?" She hisses at him.
The words I love you, Jethro have echoed in his head all day. Gibbs grabs her by the hips and kisses her gently. "I promise I'll say it back, but I can't right now." He says quietly as he pulls away. Jenny growls at him and snatches her book back. He leans back against the couch and simply watches her devouring the words written on the pages.

One day, the agent thinks to himself I'l say those words back to her.

The morning she left him was the morning he was going to tell her that he loved her too but he didn't get a chance to until she returned as the Director of NCIS six years later and by then it had been too late to tell her, but regardless of her role in the agency, he always has and always will love Jennifer Shepard.

A/N: I hope you Angels have enjoyed this one, I've handwritten a few more oneshots in the series and unrelated JIBBS oneshots that will be out later this week.

Au revoir, Angels.