A million memories of us: Advice from the boss

A\N: Hi, Angels. I'm so glad that you are enjoying A million memories of us. I think it's been my favourite JIBBS story that I've written so far.

Oneshot 4 title: Advice from the boss

Oneshot 4 summary: Gibbs searches for his probie late at night in the NCIS building after wrapping up a case and gives her some advice

POV: Third person.

Chapter count: 1.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs is sitting on the wooden steps of Mike Frank's house in Mexico when another memory of him and Jen invade his mind, which he doesn't mind.

NCIS Team Leader Leroy Jethro Gibbs looks around the mostly empty bullpen of the Major Crimes Response Team (MCRT) for his probie. His new agent, Jennifer Shepard, has been a pain in his ass from the first day they got this case, arguing with him at every turn, trying to focus on the other aspects of the case, not that he blames her. Not seeing his redheaded agent, he turns to Burley who is making paper aeroplanes out of his paperwork. "Where's Shepard?" He asks his older agent who is in the middle of throwing the aeroplane. Burley looks at Gibbs and shrugs. "Last I saw her she was in tears and going to the stairs." He says, Gibbs nods before he turns and heads towards the stairs. 

It's 2245 on a Tuesday night and most of the agents have gone home apart from his team who have just finished interrogating their prime suspect who cracked in under 5 minutes thanks to Shepard.

The stairs are well lit despite how dark and late it is. Gibbs sees his redheaded agent sitting on the second landing with her knees pulled up her chest, her arms wrapped around them and her head resting on her knees, she looks lost in thought when he sits next to her. "Shepard?" He says her name quietly but she still jumps at hearing his voice. Shepard looks at him, her green eyes wide. "Boss." She says to him quietly. Both agents are silent until he starts talking to her.

"It'll get easier, Jen." Gibbs tells his new agent who scoffs. "You keep telling me that but it feels like it'll only get worse." She says. Gibbs chuckles quietly before he nudges her. "You've only been here 3 months, Shepard. You've gotta cut yourself some slack, give it time." He says. Jen nods and sighs as she gets to her feet. "Is it alright if I head home? There's a bubble bath and a bottle of wine calling my name." She asks dreamily, thinking about the wine that can apparently call her name. He smiles and gives her a nod.

"Go on, get out of here." He tells her also rising to his feet, Jen returns his smile before she walks up a flight of stairs to the bullpen, leaving Gibbs to stare after her for several minutes.

"It'll get easier, Jen, I promise." He says to himself before walking up the flight of steps. When he reaches the bullpen, only he remains. His agents have gone home without turning off their desk lights. Turning off Jen's desk light, he tells himself that it will get easier for her, he'll make sure it does.

After the memory finishes playing in his head like a movie, the former Marine and Agent smiles to himself.

He hopes it's easier for Jen being Director than it was at being a Field Agent because god knows she had a hard time after their case, from what he remembers of her time on his team.

A/N: I know this is short and a little bit crap but it's Halloween night and I'm depressed as hell, be safe out there tonight and enjoy another of A million memories of us, Angels.