A million memories of us: The letter

A/N: This will be the last memory before the epilogue. I hope you Angels enjoy this memory and the epilogue.

Oneshot 23 title: The letter

Oneshot 23 summary: Jenny is writing the letter to Jethro in Paris at night while he sleeps

POV: Third person

Chapter count: 1

Jenny Shepard will always remember what she wrote in that letter to Jethro that night while she was in Paris in 1999. The words she wrote, the lies she had written for him to read and believe, the tears that had spilled from her eyes and had landed on the page and left tear stains, the way her hand trembled causing her words to slant sloppily at times, she even remembers the clothes she wore the night she wrote the letter: Jethro's white USMC t-shirt and a pair of her black lace panties. She'll always remember what she wrote to him, it'll always be ingrained in her mind. No matter what. 

Dear Jethro,

As I'm writing this, you're sleeping peacefully in bed, the moon slipping in through the crack in the curtains, covering you in a silver light, making you look even more handsome as you sleep. I can't sleep, even if I try, not even with your arms around me, keeping me safe. You asked me to come back to D.C. with you when this op is finished and I didn't give you an answer so I'll give it to you now, in this letter. I can't come back to D.C. with you. I wasn't going to tell you this because I didn't think I would be taking it but I've got a promotion as Team Leader in Rota, Spain. I've decided to take the promotion because I don't want to be a probie forever. I have goals I want to achieve, I have aspirations I want to meet and I can't do these things If I'm chained to your team as your partner.

Don't get me wrong, Jethro, I've loved being your partner, and lover, and traveling the world with you, doing our undercover ops, making love in bed after bed, kisses we shared, words we said, the places we went, every look we gave each other. I've loved doing everything with you but I can't do it anymore. I'm sorry, Jethro, I really am.

Do you remember when I told you I loved you a month ago in that restaurant that looks over the Seine? Do you remember what you said in response to that? 'That'll be the day' you said to me. I told you I loved you and you said that. I thought you'd say it right back, or say it when we were alone when it sunk into you that I really did love you but you didn't. You've not said it back to me, not after a month has gone by. I've tried to be patient and let you say it when you're ready to say it back on your terms, that you love me back but as time goes on, I've started to think about whether or not you really love me or I'm just a conquest for you. 

 I know falling in love with your boss isn't normal or ideal, which is half of the reason I'm taking the promotion in Rota, but I have fallen in love with you, regardless if you love me too. I can never apologize enough for doing this to you, Jethro but I owe you for giving me a life I never knew could be this but no matter how much I love this life and the people in it, I need to do this for myself.

I love you, Jethro, I'm always going to love you, be safe, please.

Love always,

Your Jen.

Tears drip from her cheeks and land on the page, smudging the words slightly. She writes his name on the envelope and puts the letter underneath a book he won't touch. She looks at her sleeping lover and lets more tears roll down her face at the sight of him. Tonight will be the last night she'll be able to watch him sleep and already she misses him. 

A\N: The epilogue will be finished tonight, published tomorrow morning along with a few other oneshots. I hope you've enjoyed reading this series, Angels. Have a good night, Angels.