Chapter 33: Heavy Heart

"His scans are appalling, his heart was a lot more damaged during his time in captivity" a doctor muttered as he gazed at the scans that were displayed.

"Not to mention the stress he went through in the past few days" a nurse whispered.

It didn't look good. It was a miracle that Y/N was even still alive, and every doctor in the facility knew it.
"We should, tell his mother he only has a few weeks-" the doctor began before the door to the meeting room opened.

A man in a doctors coat, his h/c hair slightly messy, small bags under his eyes due to the lack of a proper sleep.
"What is this I hear about all of you making a judgement call about a heart condition without me being present?" He asked.

"Doctor Inumaki- we apologize, we thought you were occupied with a heart surgery"

"A heart surgery doesn't take a year. With all due respect, you should have waited for my return before getting ready to rush and tell a mother such news" Akai Inumaki reprimanded before putting his bag on a table and heading over to the scans.

"What's the patients name?" Akai asked.

"Y/N Iparis, he's bed 218" a nurse replied.

Akai's brain stopped for a split second at the sound of the last name. Even after some years apart, he could never forget the maiden name of his first love. Though as much as it short circuited, he grabbed the main file of the patient to look at the description.

Six years old, it would be around the time that he and Shiyuna were dating. And the resemblance, it was undeniable.
He swiveled around and speed walked out of the meeting room without a word, ignoring the confused calls of his colleagues.
He had to see for himself.

He wordlessly, yet quickly, traveled from floor to floor until reaching 218. He released a breath he didn't know he was holding, knocking a few times  before slowly opening the door.

And there she was, Shiyuna sitting at the side of the bed where the sleeping Y/N resided. A man the heart surgeon quickly recognized to be Eraserhead was at the corner of the room sleeping.

"Shiyuna" Akai trailed off, but she was looking at him with widened eyes before he even uttered her name.

There was a beat of silence before she spoke, "Akai-" she whispered, though it was mostly to herself, the doctor heard anyway.
He looked from her to the bed that held his carbon copy, and then back to her.

"Shiyuna.. why didn't you tell me?" He asked, stepping closer. Shiyuna got up from her chair, not wanting to wake the hero before leaving the room with Akai, keeping the door cracked open  and looking up at him.

"I didn't know how to say it. I felt guilty the moment I lied to you. You were just working so hard to become a doctor, to say I was pregnant and you dropping everything you've ever worked for, I couldn't bare the thought of it. I didn't want to be the reason your dreams were crushed, and I wanted to keep Y/N. I was scared you wouldn't want him" Shiyuna ranted, and Akai looked at her in bewilderment.

"Shiyuna- none of that mattered. I would have helped you. I would have figured something out" he insisted. He sighed softly, before slowly pulling her into an embrace, resting his chin atop her head. He could tell she was close to tears, and the way she had leaned into his hug, she missed his presence too.

"He has your eyes" Shiyuna said, voice muffled against the cloth of his clothing. "Can you help him, Akai?"

Akai never promised patients anything. His line of work was precise, but it was always a fight for lives every single day. To promised something as serious as the survival of a loved one, he found it to be such a cruel thing to do. But this time, it was different. Even though the scans were brutal, his heart hanging on to life by a thread, Akai looked at it not from the perspective of a doctor this time. Akai Inumaki looked at it from the perspective of a father.

"I promise. I'm going to make sure he gets out of here alive" Akai replied, and it felt like such a weight was lifted off Shiyuna's shoulders as she repeatedly muttered a thank you as she hugged him tightly.

~🍙~

Y/N looked at Akai in bafflement. The doctor was in his room, explained the procedure to Aizawa and Shiyuna, but the boy wasn't listening really. He was more interested in, why was this random man copying his looks for?

"So surgery is the only way?" Aizawa asked.

"Afraid so. See the damage here? It's reaching way too far to just prescribe medication and let it repair by itself. Soon the heart will stop working to pump blood through Y/N's body. To be honest, I'm shocked that he's even awake and aware right this second. This type of condition is enough to put down a grown man. He's a tough little guy that's for sure" Akai explained, noticing Y/N gaze before reaching into his white coat and pulling out a candy.

Y/N blinked owlishly before excitedly taking it. He was being paid now too?!

"Could his body take the surgery? I mean, the doctor before you said that his body is at its limit. Even just one more day in a stressful environment could send his heart into shock" Shiyuna asked in worry.

Akai sighed, looking at her . "And if we just leave him be, his heart will give out before his body has time to. It's a risk , but it's better than not trying at all" Akai replied.

"I can let him borrow my heart, no sweat" Kota said from beside Aizawa.
"Mine too!" Eri agreed quickly and Aizawa face palmed.

"You two don't know what you're talking about" he reprimanded and Shiyuna laughed a bit at their antics.

She glanced back toward Y/N, who was listening intently to Akai as he was crouched at his bed side. He was silently explaining to Y/N how to use his stethoscope, putting it against the child's heart and letting him listen to it.

As Y/N listened to his heartbeat, Akai smiled softly at him and offered his fist for him to hit his own against it.

"One more fight little man" Akai said. Y/N looked at him, before nodding once in determination and shaking Akai's fist as if he were giving a handshake. Just like Mirio had taught him.

And with a heavy heart. Y/N was ushered into surgery for a fight for his life.