34 Could that have been?

Prue POV

I carefully placed my yoga mat in front of the couch so I could do my stretches there and then pull myself up afterwards.

This was now my route to help me not only with the pain in my back or rather whole body, but also to prepare me for the birth. Now it could not take much longer until the little one went on his way. 3 weeks, if he waited that long. I just hoped that he would wait at least until Damian came home tonight. It made me quite nervous to be alone now, but there was no other way.

Besides, Dad would be here any minute to spend some time with me. Sometimes it was still hard for me to believe how good our relationship had become. And when you got right down to it, the only person I could really thank for that was my fiancé. My fiancé... that was also hard to believe.

But if it hadn't been for Damian, the stepmonster might never have dropped her mask. She was desperate to make me look bad in front of him. And it was exactly that arrogance and narcissism that had cost her everything in the end.

"Okay Mister Nolan...how about a snack.... How do you feel about ice cream? I think Daddy stocked up on it." I said to the baby in my belly as I finished my exercises.

I felt good and he was as alert as ever. I was glad that he let me sleep at least at night. Hopefully he would keep this day and night rhythm, but I doubted it.

I finished my ice cream and watched a little TV until the doorbell rang. It took me a moment to get up, but then I succeeded. Panting slightly, I went to the door.

"Hi Dad! How are you?" I greeted my father and hugged him as best I could.

"Hi sweetheart. I'm doing great! How are you? Look at you. You look great." he replied.

"Thanks. We're fine, too. Come on in. I'll make you some coffee." I said and we went in together.

"That can wait. You better get some rest. Here, I have presents for you." replied Dad.

Only then did I notice the bag he had with him. One by one he pulled out things for the baby. And then something else.

"Oh daddy! These are beautiful! Are they the same as the ones you had made for Feli and Lamar?" I asked when I spotted the necklace and bracelet with our baby's initials.

"Yes... That's why I wanted to know his initials first. I hope Damian likes the bracelet." he explained to me.

"Oh I'm sure he'll love it," I replied.

Because I was quite sure that would be the case. And I also knew that we would both wear this set with a lot of pride.

*****

"So tell me... Have you talked about the wedding yet?" Dad asked as we walked along one of the many lakes.

We had been to a nice restaurant for lunch and took our time on the way back to the car. It was such a beautiful day, so we both thought it would be nice to enjoy the warmth.

"No, not yet. There's time for that. First we want to focus on the baby. I guess that will be exhausting enough." I replied.

"Oh honey you have no idea..." laughed Dad.

"After all, I only get one... I don't even want to imagine how exhausting it must have been with newborn twins." I said also laughing as I rubbed my belly.

"It was...but one smile from your baby and you'll forget all about the long nights and fatigue real quick. I just wish your mom was here... You know, to meet her grandkids. She missed so much... And so have I. That's why I'm glad we're closer again. I still have a lot of making up to do though.

And I'm going to do that by paying for your wedding. I paid off Felicity and Lamar's mortgage and send them money every month," he replied.

"Dad listen... I know you still feel guilty, but you don't have to do all this. And you already helped us with the house," I said.

"Prudence, I'm loving it so let me. I love you guys. I want to make sure my girls have everything they want or need. And that goes for my grandchildren, too. I'm gonna spoil you. Let me have the pleasure, okay?" he replied.

"No point in arguing, is there?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Not the slightest." he laughed.

"Alright... Let's go home. I think the little man has had enough for today." I replied, holding my belly.

"Are you okay?" Dad asked worriedly as he put his hand to mine.

My bump was all hard and there was a little tug. Suddenly, however, I felt a sharper pain.

"I... I don't know.... Could that have been a contraction?" I asked, a little breathlessly.

"Maybe... We'll go to the hospital... Come on..." he replied.

"We have to... call Damian." I then said and pulled out my phone.