All Fathers Suck -118-

"Papa!" You giggled, clinging onto your father's leg. "Come play whith me!"

Your father smiled, picking you up and spinning you around with a hearty laugh. "I wish I could, my little photon, but Dad is busy. I need to get this prototype done soon or I won't be able to show it off at the alliance meeting."

You climbed onto the stool, peering over his shoulder as he worked on some kind of invention, screwing things with just his mind. You had always loved that trick. "Ith the bulb is too... Too.."

"Dim?" Your father offered, smiling as he thought of words for you to explain your thoughts. He always did always let you try first though. "Yes, if the bulb is too dim then it means there isn't enough Elemental Energy flowing through the machine. That means it doesn't have any power stored, but I have to find a way to store enough Elemental Power, if I don't do this then Ray might get overworked to a critical point. I don't even want to imagine what that could do to his little ones..."

Nodding, you pointed to a corner of his circuit board. "That too close? Shiny bit not straight and- and.. and doesn'th- it doesn'th.. it doesn't... It's not good." You settled on, not sure how to completely vocalize your thinking process.

The door opener with a small creak, and your mother walked into the room, her hand full of groceries. "Where's my baby?" She laughed, placing the bag down, and opening her arms wide.

You glanced back to her, smiling and waving. "No hug! I buzzy helping out Dada!" You puffed out your small chest with pride.

"Magnus?" Your mom accused, walking up to him. "I thought you had agreed to stop with this alliance business, but here you are, doing it again." She sighed, pressing two fingers to her nose bridge.

Your father exahled, crouching down to your level. "How about you go into your room and try to do model 174 in your kit? That's the next one to do, right? I'll come in and help in a few minutes."

"Oh yeah!" You squealed with delight, running into your room. Grabbing the kit from your desk, you started taking parts out and flipping through the instructions.

You were too excited to notice the door shutting behind you.
You were too excited to notice the voices getting louder in the kitchen.
You were too excited to notice when the yelling started.
But you noticed when it ended with a door slam.

Standing on your tip toes, you wrapped your small hand around the doorknob, turning it and walking into the living room, where your father was sat alone.

His scruffy face was propped onto his hand as he stared to the ground. The creak of a floorboard surprised him, causing him to look up. "Y/n.. oh Y/n.." Your father's gaze began to cloud up, his eyebags filling with water.

You ran forward, climbing onto the couch, putting your tiny hands on his lap. "Don't cry papa! Why are you and mama upset?"

"It's- it's nothing for you to worry about, little photon... Hell, you're only five.. You- you need a stable life.." He pulled you into his lap, wrapping his large hands around your delicate skull. "A.. a stable life.." He pressed his hands harder into your temples, creating a buzzing noise inside your head.

Jerking your head, you pulled back from his touch. "Papa! That hurt! Why- why Dada crying?! Why is Mama not home?" You asked, the memories of what had just happened clouding up into the back of your mind...

Opening your eyes, you raised a hand and hesitantly touched it to your cheek. "Why- why did you show me that?" You whispered, judging the saline solution on your palm. "That.. I don't remember any of that happening."