Excerpt: Angel and Demon

a little snippet of a conversation between Drolta and the village healer. What do you think?

"You don't scare me." I stood my ground, gripping the staff in my hand. "Your kind have never scared me, and if you think you can threaten me at my own house inside my own ward, which isn't frying you to ash right now because of my grace, by the way , you're mistaken. Big time." My staff glowed brightly in emphasis as the visible glyphs on my arms.

The succubus laughed as if I cracked a funny joke. "As you could do anything, oh righteous Mal'akh. Not in this form you shackled yourself in. Even with your power unchained, you couldn't stop her. My mistress has drank the blood of a goddess, an angel would be a mere dessert." She stepped back, as if taking my warning into account.

"You could be my dessert." The succubus sneered. "I heard angel blood is quite delicious once unhallowed, so it doesn't burn your insides. Hmm no, you're too cute to kill. Maybe once my master reigns the world, you can be my pet. Would you like that cherub? It's not as if angels are monogamous."

"Wow, dropped the subtlety haven't you? Why don't you show your horns while you're at it." I scoffed.

"I could never be subtle around a Messenger." She yawned. "Perhaps your blood is already tainted. I know the Belmonts' lineage, and I know you've bred with a vampire lord and birthed his mongrel child. Her name is Emmaline, right? She is quite beautiful and It's been millennia since I've tasted Nephilim blood."

She hissed and flew off at the activation of my ward.

"Stay the fuck away from my daughter!! "I struck my staff, watching her batlike form retreat under the stars. "This is my town and it is under my protection. I catch you again, I'll follow my instincts and smite you down!"