A Treacherous Crossing

Cold never bothered Emma. She was half angel, a quarter vampire, and  born in  the cold lands of  Eastern Europe. What did bother her was crossing an ice laden river on one of the coldest winters she'd felt in the Americas, cramped in a boat surrounded by the musty smell of human males.

 This was not how I envisioned spending  Christmas. Emma's breath fogged  the air in front of her as she crouched low, her sharp eyes piercing the fog for ice floes . The General wanted her with him, her sight could  see a way across the river and  avoid them getting hit by ice.

Don't complain to me!  Vance remarked, watching their progress as mist mingling in the fog. It was your idea to cross this damn river on Christmas day to ambush the enemy troops.

No it wasn't! Emma protested. I merely suggested we strike enemy forces the same way I attack vampires; by surprise. The Good old  General took that suggestion to heart and had the idea of a surprise ambush on a day when nobody would expect an attack.

Still it was  your suggestion he took to heart and thought up this crazy idea. Humans are mad.

Emma looked up at the General in front of her, bravely leading his troops across the river despite being terrified to the bone. Emma had asked him earlier if she could aid them by melting the ice. He respectfully rejected her idea, her flames might be seen by the enemy on the other side.

Stop giving suggestions to the General.  Emma growled to herself. At least Caleb was safe. The weather grew drearier, soon even she would have difficulty  seeing the terrain.

This better damn work.