Sneak Peak: Lioness and Cubs

Currently working on the next chapter, it should be up soon. This is part of what I have so far:

As the sun dipped over the forest, Emma and her company made their way home. The centuries old woman strode confidently with the sword at her belt and her hair shining in the twilight, her cubs following behind.

"Tera's cooking." Emma sniffed. "Smells delicious." Her descendant's cottage appeared in view, smoke rising from the chimney. "Heading off Vance?"

"Yes." Vance took his leave, bidding Emma and the children goodnight.

Emma wished he didn't have to leave. Tera detested vampires more than the usual human, it wasn't just a natural fear of them. It was personal. Even Emma noticed how terribly uncomfortable she was around Vance despite reassuring that he wouldn't hurt her. When she asked her mother about it, the angel simply claimed Tera escaped the vampires that killed her family. " She's lucky to be alive. Don't ask me more, and don't ask her about it. I promised her I wouldn't talk about it."

It wasn't the only secret she kept for Tera.

When Emma knocked on the door, it was as if her own mother greeted her. Tera was as sweet and loving to her as if Emma was one of her own. Emma watched as Richter and Maria excitedly told her about their training day, and how they bested a vampire together.

"It was Vance." Emma reassured. "Don't worry I wouldn't let them get within ten feet of another vampire, at least not yet. I feel the time has come to put the skills they have cultivated into what they were meant to be used for."

"For killing vampires?" Richter said excitedly.

"For defending yourself and the innocent against them." Emma responded. "I think you're ready to kick it up a notch!"

The children babbled excitedly, asking Emma if they could start as soon as they could. "What do you think Tera?" Emma explained her game plan. Her descendant agreed, but discreetly expressed her reluctance to have Vance involved in training.

"He's different. Vance doesn't have that darkness in his heart like other vampires. He's been my companion for nearly my entire life and has defended me against the many threats of this world. He would never harm Richter or Maria."

"He's a vampire, Emmaline." Tera warned. "Governed by the instinct to hunt and drink human blood. He may have control of his instincts, but they are still part of him. A tamed tiger is still a tiger." The woman swallowed the lump in her throat. "You do not know Emma, their capacity for cruelty."

"I know well enough." Emma's glyphs prickled, remembering her Revolution days. "He isn't like other vampires, I assure you, but if you're uncomfortable with him training with Maria, I'll tell him not to. He'll understand."

"Thank you Emmaline." Tera said graciously.

"You're welcome." Emma nodded. "Richter on the other hand, Vance will be the best training he'll ever get that isn't a de-fanged weakened vampire bound by silver chains. The Belmonts of old used to teach their pups how to fight that way. I'll make sure neither of them get too overconfident." She winked.

The two women heard footsteps racing upstairs. The children were playing a chasing game with Maria's familiars. "Are they too young....do you think?" Wondered Tera.

"For training to use their abilities? No." Emma replied without a doubt. "I was younger than they were when I developed my powers, and my parents jumped on to teaching me how to use them. Maria has a gift, she deserves to feel proud of it and to use it well. Richter is a Belmont, born and bred. He's got the spark in him, he knows what he wants even at 12 years old. I'd do a disservice if I did not teach him how to defend against creatures of darkness. Who else will? He's the last."

Not the last. Tera wanted to say but kept silent. Juste didn't want anyone else to know he was secretly giving her money to keep the boy fed and clothed. Emma wasn't the only young Belmont's guardian.

"You are an angel, just like your mother." Tera touched Emma's cheek.

"Well....mostly." Emma grinned sheepishly. "I should get going."

"You should stay for dinner." Tera insisted. "You must be hungry."

"I can't." Emma politely decline. "Mom will be wondering where I am. You know how she gets nervous. Sometimes I think she forgets I spent a century and a half on another continent." Tera called the children down to say goodbye. Maria hugged Emma tightly and Richter bid her a polite goodnight.

"Too old to hug your old Guardian huh?" Emma chuckled and ruffled his head. "Goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow." She ended up leaving Tera's house with a basket of food. Twilight bathed the woodland outskirts as she walked the familiar way to her house. Up on the hill, the lights of Machecoul flickered beneath the stars.

"I can hear you, you old bat." Emma called to the trees. The treetops rustled as a great black bat flew down and shifted into a vampire. "Evening."

"Evening, Vance." Emma greeted him. The vampire and Nephilim walked casually beside one another like the old companions they were."

"Is that a goodie bag?" Vance observed.

"Yes." She held up the basket. "Tera insisted I wouldn't go hungry." She lowered it. "I have come to realize I now have two moms." Emma sighed chuckling. "And one of them is my great great..." She lost count..."Great granddaughter!!"

"Good." Vance laughed. "I can't be the only one taking care of you all the time and keeping you out of trouble."

"You're taking care of me?" Emma lifted her brow.

"Sure. Why else would I stick around?" Vance winked.

"Thanks vampire Dad." Emma laughed.

"Besides, life is boring without you in it. Especially when you're now Belmont cub's loyal protector." He grinned mischievously. "I look forward to future training sessions."

"You! Don't get cocky!" Emma pushed him. "He's my pupil not your punching bag!"

"Aw come on! I won't go too hard on him, just enough to ruffle his feathers." Vance snickered. "Cut his teeth. Any vampire would jump at the chance to mess with a Belmont without the fear of getting killed."

"Well, don't ruffle him too much." Emma chuffed. "He'll wise up to you one day and kick your ass. I still need you."

"So I am taking care of you!"

"Just as much as I'm taking care of you and keeping you out of trouble." Emma nudged him and thrummed. Vance nuzzled her forehead thrumming deep within his chest.