Emma and Vance conversation

"I know what you're thinking." Vance spoke for the first time. "Stop thinking it."

"Stop thinking what?" Emma inquired.

"You know what."

"No I don't." Emma huffed. "Enlighten me you old bat. What was I thinking?"

"That if you were with Richter and the others, you could have saved Eduoard's life." Vance answered knowingly. "You might have, and you might have not. One thing's for sure; had you known what Richter and the group was planning, you would have joined them, and all of those   innocent women would have suffered terrible deaths."

Emma didn't answer. Vance saw the way she hunched her shoulders and rubbed her arms, he knew he was right. "You can't save everyone Emma. It's not your fault."

"I know." Emma responded tensely before softening her voice. "I know...." Vance rubbed her shoulder. "Look at those you did. They are free because of you, and now they can flee and live another day. Even the one that passed away will forever be free from  Erzsebet's torment. She died knowing peace and comfort in your arms instead of bleeding to death  in some cold distant cell."

"I know." Emma said. "Thank you Vance."

The old vampire nodded and draped his cape over her shoulders. It was his way of affection and comfort.  "What have we gotten ourselves into this time, Angel."

 "Something we can't easily get out of." Emma remarked. "Nor should we try. This threat is bigger than anything we've ever faced."

"I still think we should pack our bags and leave as fast as we can." Vance sighed. "As far away as we can."

"And what good will that do us when this 'Vampire Messiah of Darkness' has taken over the world?" Emma questioned. "There will be nowhere to run, and I'm not leaving my family."

"They are not your only family."

"I can't exactly go to England while I'm still a 'Traitor to the Crown."Emma remarked. 

"I didn't mean him."

"No way in Hell."

"He loves you Emma, and he would protect you better than I ever could."

 "I'm not going back to be locked in a cage and treated like a pretty bird!"  Emma rasped. "And I'll be damned if I leave Richter when he needs me the most."

"All right." Vance relented. "All right." He gave her a smile. "Can't argue with you once you've set your mind to it. Whatever storm's ahead, I'll stand by you. I have my own family worth fighting for."