The Hermit

Author's Note:  The Hermit is a mysterious character encountered a few times in the book. I haven't figured out the context of the first meeting until now: Emma and Vance are helping Richter and Maria track down a group of vampires seeking shelter in a cave. An ambush separates Emma from the rest of the group, forcing her to continue on alone, she hears music and finds  the Hermit  in the cave, thinking he's one of the vampires hiding there.

"I know you're there." The man spoke in an accent reminiscent of Italian. "I hear your footsteps and feel your magic.  Wise to whistle during my lute, but I am too sharp of a prey."  When he stood up she whistled the sword  at his head.

"Don't move." Emmaline warned. 

The man didn't even flinch from the woman and her levitating sword at his face. "That's rude. Threatening a stranger at the first meeting and pointing a weapon between their eyes. You'll make more enemies than friends that way."

"Considering I found this stranger in a vampire-infested  cavern, I doubt you're a friend."

"You think I'm a vampire?"  

"I think you're very suspicious."

"I should say the same about you." He stood up looking at her  amused. "Wielding a levitating sword and hiding in the shadows. Step out, so I know who is threatening me ." Emma stepped into the firelight, whistling her sword into her hand. "Who are you?"

" Just a stranger in a cave." He answered with a smirk. "Oh don't give me that look. Why would I give you any information about myself when you're showing your teeth? How can I be sure you're not a vampire? I should warn you I'm quite skilled in taking down such creatures, and I have silver knives at my belt. I wouldn't try it."

"I'm not a vampire." Emma snarled.

" Not entirely." The Hermit nodded. "That's why I'm not afraid of you. A full vampire would've attacked and bitten out my throat the moment they saw me. Not you. You're no more a beast of the darkness than I am."

 He examined her, scanning her from head to toe before locking eyes with her. The hairs on her back stiffened and she instinctively bared her teeth. "Easy, I'm not going to hurt you."Assured the Hermit. " I'm just curious about what a pretty face like yours is skulking in a cave for?"

"Hunting vampires." Emma answered stiffly.

"By yourself?" He cocked a brow. "That's one sure way to get eaten."

"No!" Emma snapped. "With my companions, we were ambushed and I was separated from them."

"I see." The Hermit nodded.  "Let me help you find your way . The caves aren't as endless as they look." He lit a torch. "You can trust me." He offered his hand. "I promise I won't hurt you." Emma reluctantly took it, and at the moment she touched it, all the tension and weariness melted from her.

 "You better keep your promise." She still warned.  "You've seen my sword. I've got more than that to defend myself. 

"I don't doubt it." Laughed the Hermit.

                                                                            ****

Emma follows the Hermit through the cave. Emma and the Hermit run into two vampires. Emma kills them.

"Well done young huntress." The Hermit remarked. "Those foul beasts should be running from you."

"Thanks." Emma grumbled. "Why the frick didn't you help me? Didn't you say you were an experienced vampire killer with silver knives? A little assistance would have been nice."

"You didn't need my help." The Hermit answered plainly.  "And I am assisting you, by guiding you through the caves."

"You can't guide me through the caves  if I'm dead!"

"You're not dead. Aren't you?"

"No."

"Then I'm helping."

"Fine." Emma shrugged. "You're helping, but you don't have to be such a pain about it. You're worse than Richter."

"I'm not a pain. The opposite actually." The Hermit replied proudly. "I'm the greatest help you'll ever have."

"For the current moment." Emma huffed.

"If you believe so." Smirked the Hermit

"The hell does that mean?"

"What do you think it means?"

" No damn clue." Emma hissed. "Just get us out of here."

                                        ...

 After they get out of the cave. Emma thanks him for guiding her out.  The Hermit in turn thanks her for ridding the cave of pests.

"Unfortunately vampires managed to find it, others will follow the scent. It's no longer safe for anyone to shelter there."

"Where will you go?"

"Not far. Don't worry about me, I'll be close.  Hmm, this is troubling, I see a vampire at the bottom of the hill with two humans. A vampire in the daylight!  They're resistant  to sunlight  now?"

"That's them!!" Emma exclaimed. "Thank you so much for helping me."

"Anytime my dear." The Hermit bowed. "Just try to keep out of trouble, okay? Stay out of vampire caves."

"Kinda hard, being me, but I'll try. I'll not journey into dark caves again for sure."

"Neither will I." The Hermit's smile struck an odd sense of familiarity in her. "Farewell for now, my friend. May you be blessed."

 "Same with you." Emma replied as they parted in separate ways. "Goodbye and goodluck." She raced down the hill. "Girl!" The Hermit called.

Emma stopped and turned around. "What."

"Remember you are never  alone, even in the darkest times."