Sneak Peak: Farewell to Good Company

Emma heard Richter's soft feet padding in the cabin long before he nudged her awake. "Wake up."

Emma grumbled, wrapped up cocooned in her blanket, and ignored him. "Come on. Wake up." Richter ordered. " I know you hear me."

Emma still ignored him.

"Get up." The small Belmont physically pushed her to no avail. "Come on you lazy...!" He grunted. "Get up!"

Emma bared her teeth from Vance's tired voice creeping into her consciousness. Your boy is awake.

Oh, just because he's being annoying, he's my boy now?

Yes. Vance hissed, too pleased. Get to it Guardian Angel, you're not that resistant.

That's what you think. Emma growled addressing Richter. "Try as you might, little one, you'll not move me."

"Wake up." Richter persisted.

"Why? The sun hasn't risen yet." The sleepy hybrid grumbled.

" You promised to show me arcane magic." Richter stood at her bedside. "Before the sailors get to work on deck. Well they're not now. Come on. Please."

"A few more minutes."

"Please!!"

"Fine." Emma relented. "Because you said 'please.'" She sat up and stretched, yawning wide with her teeth bared and her long blonde hair mussed up, looking like a disheveled lion. Richter eagerly waited for her to dress and brush out her thick mane of hair to look at least somewhat presentable.

"Come on then." Emma buckled her sword and drew her cloak over her.

Emma's eyes absorbed the richness of the sunlight rising over the seas. The clouds turned purple before shifting to a rich orange. She took it in, it was one of her last sunrises at sea. "Em, do you see something?" Richter tugged her sleeve nervously.

"Just appreciating the sunrise." Her eyes glimmered before yawning again. "What kind of arcane magic do you want me to teach you?"

"Everything." Richter answered excited.

"Everything." Emma whistled. "That's a lot to teach before sunrise. How about I show you a few small things instead?"

The boy nodded practically bouncing on his feet.

Emma smirked. "Thought so." She ended up demonstrating a few rudimentary tricks. How to cast a light orb, lighting a holy white flame, creating small shields to deflect attacks. They were the first things her mother taught her to do and easy abilities to manage, they didn't take up much of one's strength.

"The key is to never go over what you can manage." Emma levitated a small palm size shield. "Think of arcane magic as burning a giant hearth in your body. That hearth is your life energy and if you burn it out, you're screwed."

"Mother told me Arcane magic was more difficult and dangerous to wield." Richter observed.

"And she was right." Emma nodded. "Elemental magic draws from the world around you. The earth, the sun, the rain, the sea, every atom in between."

"What's an atom?" Richter asked.

"The base of every element in existence." Emma answered before she digressed. "Never mind that. The fact is Elemental magic (and the majority of magic classes) draws its energy from the outside." She swept a hand across her surroundings. "Arcane magic. Magic of the Soul, draws from here." She patted her chest. "That's why it's so difficult to maintain and master, and that's why Arcane mages are rare."

"How did you become a mage?" Richter brimmed with curiosity. Emma loved seeing him so bright and interested.

"Years of practice." Emma answered plainly. " Also my mother was an Arcane mage, and a damn good one at that. She taught me everything I knew."

"Do you believe...if I ever get my magic back....you could teach me? Really teach me?"

"Of course." Emma smiled heartened. "When you get your magic back, I know you will when the time is right." She clutched her grumbling stomach. "Oh dear, looks like I gotta refuel myself. Let's get some breakfast, kid, never do magic on an empty stomach."