Sneak Peak: The Peluda

Fear kept Richter back, but he mustered the courage to unravel the Vampire Killer.

"Richter don't!!" Emma stepped forward raising her palms . "The creature's docile! Don't provoke it!"

The dragon narrowed its pupils and hissed at the Belmont.

"Like hell it's docile!!" At the crack of the whip the dragon charged sideways at Richter, rattling the spines along its back like a snare drum. Richter sidestepped, dancing on his toes and striking the dragon on its furry side.

"Richter stop it!!" Maria screamed. "You'll anger it worse!!" At each lash, the dragon barreled at rattling its quills . Emma recognized the same defensive behavior from an unfortunate encounter with a porcupine a few decades back, but before she could call Richter to leave it alone, he lashed the creature's fur.

The dragon hissed and charged backwards at Richter full steam ,flaring the full extent of its quills like a thorny peacock. Each spine was the size of a lance and fully capable of gutting him through..

Emma hissed and lightning dashed, pulling Richter out of the way before the dragon struck with its naked whiplike tail that would have knocked him dead on impact.

"Stop it!!" Maria sped to the dragon. "He didn't know! He's our friend!"

"Maria stay back!!" Emma warned .

The dragon wheeled around and roared, raising its serpentine head to its full extent and bearing its teeth and flaring its barbs. The chill of its hiss was emphasized by the rattling quills.Emma unsheathed her sword and stood bravely in front of the agitated beast when her mother confronted it with glowing staff and glyphs. "Stand down!" She commanded. "He's not your enemy."

Behind her Richter froze like a deer in the lamplight, staring blankly at the dragon's parted jaws.

The dragon's serpentine pupils enlarged, and lowered its head, gazing into Amalie's eyes with deep sincerity. "Mother?" Emma's voice wavered. Amalie didn't hear her, recollection stirred in her brain.

Torchlight lashed at the dragon's face, it reeled around roaring, charging backwards with its rear end impaling the unfortunate knight, striking his comrade dead with the whiplash of his tail.

"No!" Maria screamed as a group of the Abbot's knights confronted the dragon, brandishing their swords and torches boxing it in.

"Maria get away!!" Tera held onto her daughter.

The dragon shook the corpse off its quills, rattling its bloodied weapons and hissing in warning. Its tail lashed in the air, keeping the knights at bay.

"Everyone keep back!" Mizrak ordered, brandishing its weapon.

Enraged light flickered in Amalie's eyes, and she shouted at the dragon "GO!"

The dragon reared its head and expelled a cloud of noxious black smoke, blinding all witnesses save for Amalie and her family shielded beneath a forcefield of light.

"That's my girl." Amalie whispered proudly to her daughter. Outside the knights sputtered and coughed. Emma inhaled and blew, purifying the air with a gust and alleviating the burning eyes of the knights. She dropped the shield before they regained sight.

The dragon was gone.