2] The Bastard and The Snake

Diena knew that she wasn't going to go to Kaz, she wanted him to come to her

Diena knew that she wasn't going to go to Kaz, she wanted him to come to her. He needed her help with whatever job he was planning on taking even if it did piss off the wrong people.

She wanted him to need the information that she had.

And just like she suspected, Kaz Brekker had indeed paid The Snake of the Barrel a visit, "Snake, slither out from wherever you're hiding."

Diena chuckled and called out from her office, "I'm not hiding, Kaz. In here."

She knew he wasn't too far away the clang of his cane confirmed it. When he opened the door he saw Diena with her feet on her desk, "Evening, bastard. What can I do for you?"

They had an interesting relationship, no one really knew if they liked or hated each other

Kaz shut the door behind him, "Why don't you tell me? You're the Snake."

Diena smiled, "Is this about Jesper being at my tables and not yours? Or maybe your little stand off with some Dime Lions. Or maybe your little heist involving Dreesen?" He tensed at the last option, making Diena nod, "The last one then. What do you want and what do you have in return?"

"Tendo? A Zemeni Private Security man. You know him?" Kaz asked

Diena nodded, "I know of every Zemeni in town. What's this job?"

"That's not part of the deal."

Diena swung her legs around and stood up, "You're no fun, you used to be at least a little entertaining." Kaz gave her a glare, one that would topple even the most stoic of people, but Diena wasn't fazed by it, she'd seen a scary man and it wasn't Kaz Brekker, "What do you have for me?"

"Information on a few people on the Merchant's Council, plans the Menagerie has, Fifth Harbour news and Garden District Merchant. And I'll pay you after the job is done."

Money. That caught her attention, "How much?"

"To be decided." Kaz replied

Diena didn't even need to think, she knew what her answer would be the minute Kaz came in the door. Diena would more often than not say yes to Kaz's demands without as much of a high price. It may have been due to their alliance or the fact Jesper was in the middle of their playing field.