30] Familiar Heartbeats

3 HOURS EARLIER:

3 HOURS EARLIER:

Zoya and Tolya were walking around the streets, hoping against all hope that they would run into one of the Crows or hear someone mention one of their names. Zoya stopped Tolya grabbing his arm and pulling him back, "This isn't going anywhere. This place is like a maze, how are we supposed to find them?"

Tolya had directed them down the street towards where the Hide was, but it was different than before, there was no one there that he recognised. So he had assumed that something bad had happened, "Look, the Hide changed, the Crow Club been blown to pieces. So they're hiding. Just give me a second."

Zoya looked down and saw Tolya moving his hand, even she knew that showing any sign that you were a Grisha in Ketterdam was a bad idea, "What are you doing? Are you crazy?"

"Looking for familiar heartbeats." Tolya answered as he started to walk, "It's how we find the Crows."

Zoya sighed as she followed behind him, "You weren't even with us last time, how are any of their hearts familiar to you?...and how do you know the Hide changed..." Zoya then realised what was going on, "Oh my Saints...I thought you were intimately reserved for food and poetry?"

"I am."

PRESENT TIME:

Diena had spent the better part of the morning trying to find out any information on the sword that she could, she went to the University District, down to the Barrel. Blackmailing anyone that she could find, anyone that would still be afraid of her.

And thankfully she came up with some answers, but just as she was walking up the street back to the Slat she saw Tolya leaning against the brick wall in an alley. Kaz would be furious she had detoured but she didn't care, she needed to sort some things out

Diena walked down the alley towards the Heartrender, "You never told me you worked for the Prince."

"I did. I said I worked for Sturmhond." Tolya replied

Diena raised an eyebrow, "Don't get smart with me. They're the same person, did you think I wouldn't figure it out? I figure everything out."

Tolya shrugged, "I figured you would, I just hoped I'd be out of the city before you did, think I'd want to be on the wrong side of you?...anyone else?"

Diena shook her head, she hadn't had much time since Tolya left the Barrel the last time to make any lasting connections with anyone, not that she really wanted, "Not really. I've had a little hole in my heart for a poetry loving Shu Heartrender. How about you? I'm sure the ladies have been flocking to hear your poetry."

Tolya smiled, "Well it just so happens, that I've got a little hole for a Zemeni Barrel Boss...and no one wants to hear my poetry."

For the first time since coming back to Ketterdam, Diena felt fully healed, like the gaps in her heart had been filled. She had her Saint back, just like he had said, he found his way back to her, "I needed you and...here you are."

"Do you remember what I said last time?" Tolya asked, a hint of worry on his face

Diena nodded, she knew that Tolya had no interest in being intimate with anyone, it just wasn't something that he liked, and she didn't care. They had other ways of being together.

Before Tolya could even answer her she leaned up and kissed him, putting her hand on his chest, and for a Heartrender the speed of which his heart was going was laughable. Diena smiled as she moved her head a centimetre back, "Long may the nights carry our souls." Tolya muttered

Diena smiled, "I've missed the poetry."

As much as the reunited lovers didn't want to they made their way back into the Slat walking over to the rest of the group, "The Neshyenyer at Ahmrat Jen is definitely a fake."

Zoya rolled her eyes, "Which we told you. Perhaps now you tell us something we didn't know? Live up to your name, Snake."

Tolya discreetly put his hand on her back as she sat down answering back to Zoya, "According to my contacts, it's been stolen by a thief known as The Disciple. He had a penchant for stealing Saint-related relics while on jobs."

"So he's a thief and a collector?" Jesper asked

Diena nodded, "Bit like Kaz but he's retired. And has since put a few pieces of his collection on the black market. So, to get to him, we go to his fence. Ohval Saran. She has a tea shop in Bhez Ju. To speak with her, we have to order yellow chrysanthemum tea, off-menu." She looked to Zoya, "How was that?"

The group then split to get ready to leave, Diena held up a passport and Inej smiled and took it as she walked past, "How have I wronged him?" Jesper moaned

Diena looked over to him, "What?"

Jesper held up his passport, "The passport. He made me even older than the last time."

"Technically, you are older than last time." Diena answered

Jesper scoffed as he picked up some food and threw it at her, he then stood up from his chair going to walk past them to get to Wylan but stopping at Tolya, "Also, hello Mr Yul Bataar. I see the hand, move the hand or I break the hand."

"Jesper..." Diena warned, Jesper was rarely serious but when it came to Diena he could actually be quite scary. Not Kaz scary but still.

Jesper just smiled as he walked over to Wylan who was looking at his own passport, Diena didn't know why though, she knew that Wylan wouldn't be able to read it. She made a mental note to go and read it to him later he would have to know it off by heart.

"Should I feel threatened?" Tolya asked

Diena chuckled and shook her head, "Of Jesper? No. You're fine. Should I be threatened by Tamar?"

Tolya paused before he nodded, "Yes, definitely."

Thank you for reading

So, if you're eagle eyed I have been dropping hints that Tolya is this Shu Man that Diena had a relationship with, this entire time

The Poetry, the red and blue bracelet (squaller and heartrender), the Shu poem, when she met Nikolai etc

And the fact that Tolya was looking for a familiar heart just fills my heart. And my headcannon is that Tolya is Asexual so that's what's going to happen here.

Comment and Vote :)