7] Crossing the Fold

Diena had miraculously found a goat

Diena had miraculously found a goat. Surprisingly they were quite hard to come by in Novokribirsk, but she got one all the same. It may have involved a little recon on finding out something on the person who owned the goat and using that to her advantage. Without her Sea Snakes it was difficult but she did it all the same. And got a goat out of it.

She wasn't going to spend money if she had other ways to get what she wanted, that was the easy way of doing things.

Kaz, Arken, Inej and Diena were walking towards the place where Arken had said he had hid his train. Diena didn't know how she felt about the fact that they were going to cross the Fold on a loud train, being loud in the fold would attract the monsters, something that they didn't need. They needed all of their limbs for the job Dreesen hired them for.

What worried her the most was that Jesper was nowhere in sight, her ring was blue which meant that he wasn't even close, he wasn't following slightly behind them.

"Where is your brother?" Kaz asked

Diena gave him a look, "If I knew where Jesper was everything second of every day then I wouldn't be able to do my job, now would I? He'll be here, he's okay."

"You know he's not dead?" Kaz asked

Diena rolled her eyes, "Yes, bastard. I know he's not dead. See this?" She held up her hand to show him her ring, "Goes purple when he's close. It'll go white if he's dead. It's blue ergo he's not close or dead. He'll be here."

The rings were one of the last creations of Aditti Hilli, Jesper and Diena's mother. She wanted them to be a way of her two children always being able to find each other, no matter where they were to each other.

Diena truly hoped she wasn't around for when her ring went white, the world wouldn't feel the same with Jesper not being in it, everything would be less quiet and less exciting.

She wasn't too fond of when her ring was blue, that just meant that he wasn't close to her.

Diena quickly stopped when she saw a sign for Landmines, "Landmines? Why have you put Landmines down?"