19] Home Sweet Home

Many words could describe Ketterdam

Many words could describe Ketterdam. It just depended on which part you lived in. The University District was safe, bright and peaceful. The Barrel was filthy, chaotic, ruthless and corrupt.

Which was exactly how Diena liked it. She remembered when she first stepped foot in the Barrel. It had taken her a while to get her grip on the city, she hated it at first but then she met Kit and Nico. Who introduced her to Vesemir and it just went up from there.

Diena knew she was a match for the chaos of the Barrel. Diena was excited to get back, she wanted to see her people. She wanted to go back to being the Snake, being away from it for so long made her antsy, waiting to get her claws into something.

But as they stepped foot off of the ship, Diena felt something was wrong. Something was wrong with Ketterdam.

"Home sweet home." Jesper sighed as they walked down the street, Diena didn't share in the excitement. She was looking around, up on the rooves she didn't see any of Meena's hooks.

Nico, Tess and Klara weren't on the streets, something was wrong, "Straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived."

"It's too peaceful. I'm not seeing any Snakes." Diena pointed out as she bumped into a man, slipping the watch off of his wrist as she did, "So sorry."

Jesper chuckled and shook his head, "No. It's a good sign. I think I might celebrate with a little dice and debauchery."

"No debauchery." Kaz said

"Dice then." Jesper concluded

Diena gave him a look, "My rigged tables?"

"Leave it to faith, Di. You can't cheat it's bad form." Jesper told her

Diena snorted, "Smart people don't play fair."

"Good people do." Inej pointed out

That just made Diena smile, "I'm not a good person."

Inej rolled her eyes, "And the Snakes back." Kaz said, "But no dice. We have stops to make."