20] Sturmhond or Nikolai?

Kaz, Jesper and Diena were shoved into chairs in an office which they had no idea who it belonged to, "Watch the coat

Kaz, Jesper and Diena were shoved into chairs in an office which they had no idea who it belonged to, "Watch the coat." Jesper complained, "What's all this then?"

Still the same idiot Stadwatch which had caught them, the man smiled at them as he said, "Somebody paid good Kruge to spend some time alone with you three."

The double doors behind them opened and Dreesen appeared in the doorway, "Criminals."

Diena hung her head and groaned, Dressen. Of course it was him, who else could it have possibly been.

"Dreesen." Kaz greeted the man who hummed in response as he walked into the room with three bodyguards behind him.

And did Diena know one of them. Each of the bodyguards were dressed in the same thing, but the blonde. He had an emerald on his cuff, stupid move on his part. Diena could see right through him.

Now that she thought about it, Sturmhond or Nikolai was probably the one behind the job. One million Kruge was enough to alert the Merchant Council of Dreesen's affair, especially if the money was in the bank. But if it wasn't his and instead belonged to someone else...it made so much more sense.

Good old money laundering. What didn't make sense was why Nikolai wanted someone that Ravka already had, and why hire thieves and criminals to do it.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened?" Dreesen asked, pulling Diena out of her thoughts

Kaz looked over at Diena and he saw her slightly glance at Nikolai, pointing him in the right direction, "We've been framed for murder?" Jesper tried

"And they've been evicted." Diena added

"Obviously-"

Diena cut him off, "Then why ask?"

Dreesen sneered at her. "You left with an advance on my million kruge with passage on my ship. And you dare to return empty-handed. The deal was meant to include one Sun Summoner in exchange for the advance. And you step off the ship with no such person in your possession. Clearly, you must have something of value to me or else you would not have dared-"