34] Air Support

Death didn't scare her

Death didn't scare her. Not anymore. Not when it had almost taken her too many times. The Fold didn't scare her either. It rather irritated her in fact. Perhaps the Darkling's creatures were unsettling, products of merzost, unnatural abominations. Yet, the result of an encounter with them was either a great story to tell or death. The latter returned her to the fact she didn't fear it anymore-not when she knew dying didn't mean she would be forgotten, that she had people that loved her.

"Jesper really is studying that sword."

Diena smiled as Tolya settled beside her, leaning against the banister of the Hummingbird, "I don't know what's going to happen when we get back."

Diena moved her hand so that it was on top of Tolya's, "I don't care right now. I want to enjoy having you here with me, for as long as I can. We'll worry about what happens next, when it happens."

Tolya chuckled, "You have a way with words, ever considered writing poetry."

Diena gave him a look before resting her head on his shoulder, "I write blackmail notes which work quite effectively, I'll leave the poetry to you, Kebben'a."

Tolya chuckled as he kissed the top of her head

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

"Where did that come from?" Diena heard Nikolai shout after Wylan's bomb exploded and blasted a Grisha to her death.

"My demolitions expert," Kaz replied as they appeared in sight of the others.

"Expert?" Wylan asked. Diena turned to him with an amused smile, as did Jesper. Wylan really was a nugget. Kaz just looked like Kaz. "I mean, yes. Expert."

Diena let out a laugh as she slid off the roof they were on, and ran towards the locked gates, Jesper threw them open with his hands and they ran behind the wooden defence panels crouching down.

"Fancy seeing you here," she said with a grin as Kaz reached them, and Jesper and Wylan joined the other group of people, "Sturmhond."

"You knew," Nikolai muttered